Chapter Twenty One: Christmas and Ringing in the New Year

Start from the beginning

I nodded my head and climbed in next to her. Jem took off before I was even buckled going well over the speed limit. He rushed to the hospital and parked the truck in the first available spot. Without waiting he rushed to the front entrance.

Shaking my head I helped Lilly down and held her hand as we made our way to the doors.

“Are you fighting?” She asked looking up at me. I frowned slightly.

“I think so.” I admitted and asked the front desk where Carmen was. Maternity ward, second floor. I headed to the elevator.

“I don’t think you should fight.” Lilly said simply, “It’s no fun.” I smiled at her child like ideas.

“Sometimes it happens though.” I said softly.

“Well make up. I don’t like when you and James fight.”

I laughed softly, “I’ll try.”

We sat in the waiting room for six hours. Lola had to leave four hours ago to put Madison to bed. Fiona was pacing, and Jem was trying hard to keep the girls occupied. I sat in an uncomfortable chair beside Benjamin and watched him. He hadn’t looked at me once. I must have made him mad. I was being stupid.

“God, just go talk to him!” Benjamin finally said. “I’m tired of you just sulking.”

“Tired of me sulking?” I said turning to look at him, “I’m tired of you sulking. What’s your problem?” I asked not too nicely.

Benjamin smiled a sad smile, “It sucks when you’re shoved to the back. Lola’s got kids, Fiona’s wild, James is a soccer star, Jasmine’s smart, Kelly’s cute and here I am. Just Benjamin. Nothing fabulous.”

“Nothing fabulous? Benjamin, you’re an amazing football player. You should see your dad’s face when you play!”

“But then we get home and they just yell because of my grades.”

“Well do some work!”

“I will if you will.” He said and gave a pointed glance at Jem. I sighed and nodded my head, “I’ll hold you to it.” I whispered and stood up. I walked over to Jem and sat down on the floor next to him. His shoulders tensed but he didn’t look at me.

“Hey girls,” I said in a sweet voice, “How ‘bout you see what movies they’ve got for the TV.” I suggested and pointed to the TV at the other end of the room.

“Okay!” they said and ran over to it. I turned to look at Jem, “Can we talk?” I asked him in a low voice. I was nervous. Of all the years we had known each other we’d never fought. And now there was more at stake than losing a friend.

“I have nothing to say.” Jem mumbled.

“Well I do. Can you listen?”

Jem only nodded his head.

“I’m sorry.” I blurted out before I lost my nerve, “I was stupid, and being dumb, and I shouldn’t have gotten mad. And I should have listened when you came to get me instead of yelling. I’m such an idiot. And a bit of a stubborn bitch. I know you were just worried about me. It’s just, I don’t like when other people worry about me. I’m not used to it.” I admitted in a whisper. Jem turned to look at me.

“I’m sorry for overreacting.” He said softly and cupped my face in his hands. “I guess we’ve both changed a bit over the years, huh?” he asked with a smirk.

“Maybe a little.” I admitted, though I still felt like Jem was the only one who had changed.

The door of the waiting room burst open, “He’s here!” Peter said in a cheerful voice. He looked tired, and his forehead was a little sweaty, but nothing could mask the happiness on his face. “Kevin was born at eleven forty-five at nine pounds ten ounces and ten inches!” Peter said with a smile. I stood up and beamed at him.

Jem tapped my shoulder and I turned to look at him, “Happy New Year.” He whispered and slammed his lips on mine just as the ball dropped on the TV. Jem hadn’t kissed me like that in a long time. He wasn’t hesitant, if anything he was urgent. He still tasted like mint, and smelt like the new cologne he had gotten for Christmas. I had helped pick it out. When we finally broke apart Jem smiled down at me, “Shall we go meet Kevin?” He asked and took my hand. I smiled back, “I think we shall.”

Everyone was already in the room when we got there. Fiona had claim to the small bundle of blue. She was cooing at him with a large smile on her face. I made my way to Carmen and smiled down at her. I hugged her tight, “Happy New Year!” I whispered in her ear. She chuckled softly and gave me a tired grin. Fiona came over and placed the small bundle in my arms, “Your turn!” she declared with a smile.

I gently cradled the bundle and looked down at the small baby. He had a patch of fuzzy brown hair on his head. His face was smooth and peaceful as he slept. I smiled down at him and ran my finger along his cheek. I loved babies with all my heart, but only if I could give them back to someone else when they started to cry.

A few minutes later Kevin was taken from me by Peter who placed him in Carmen’s arms. Carmen smiled up at me, “I know there’s a big party tonight,” she said softly, “you and Jem go.” She smiled again, “And have fun. But behave!” she said.

I smiled, “Are you sure?” I asked. She nodded her head, “Go!” I nodded back and grabbed Jem’s arm pulling him from the room.

“Where are we going?” he asked me.

“Your mom said to go to the party, so to the party.”

“She said to go?” Jem asked confused, “She hates when I party.”

“She must be feeling generous.” I said and led Jem out to the truck. He unlocked it and we climbed in, “Are you sure you want to go?” he asked me.

I nodded my head, I was feeling adventurous today. Jem narrowed his eyes but started the truck, “If you’re sure. You do know everyone’s going to swarm you. We have yet to attend a party together.

I sighed internally but nodded my head, “I’ll be fine.” I said with a forced smile. Jem chuckled and pulled out of the hospital, “Whatever you say babe.” 

____________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Hope you all enjoyed! I would really really really like some feedback pretty pretty please? Thanks. :) xoxo