Chapter Twenty One: Christmas and Ringing in the New Year

Start from the beginning

“Tori! It’s New Year’s Eve!”

“Jem, I’ll be back in a few hours. Don’t worry so much.”

“Last time you said that you were unconscious in the hospital for three days.” Touché. I took a deep breath, he was really getting on my nerves.

“Jem, I’m fine. And Isabelle isn’t even driving, her mom still won’t let her.”

“Then who’s taking you.”

“Demi’s mom is driving. Calm. Down.”

“I don’t like your tone. I thought you had the day off anyway!”

“And I don’t like your attitude.” This time when I tried to step around him I made it. He didn’t try to stop me at all. I walked out the front door and climbed into the back seat of Demi’s mom’s car. I buckled up and said hello.

I can’t believe it. I think that was our first fight. I looked out the window quietly, trying to think through what had happened. Jem has no right to tell me I can’t do something. Even if he’s worried about my safety. He’s not my dad.

I dismissed any feelings of guilt about being rude and smiled when we pulled into the dance studio. It felt good to be back.

When I walked into the break room there was a loud cheer and I was suddenly engulfed by people. All the girls were chatting wildly to me and I couldn’t keep up. The studio door opened and Miss Annie walked in. “Alright girls, give her some space. Go warm up!” she said and held the door open for them. Reluctantly they filed into the studio. Miss Annie smiled at me and let the door swing shut.

“How are you feeling Victoria?” she asked me. I smiled wide, “Glad to be back.” I said.

Miss Annie laughed, “You’re not quite back yet. Soon though. Going to watch today?” she asked. I nodded my head.

“Then follow me! You can run music.” She walked into the studio and set me in front of the stereo. Once everyone was done with their stretches they began to work on the group dance. I ran music.

About an hour into rehearsal the studio door swung open. Jem came running into the room followed closely by a very frustrated Melody. Her black curls streaking behind her as she tried to catch him. I groaned internally.

“Sorry Annie.” Melody said grabbing Jem’s arm. “I couldn’t stop him.”

“Tori you have to leave!” he said in a rushed voice.

“Jem, really? You came all the way here to make me leave?” I asked standing up. I can’t believe him right now.

“Tori, it’s important. I’ll tell you on the way.”

“On the way home? No thanks.” I said and turned back to the stereo.

Jem groaned and grabbed my arm. He carefully swung me around to face him. He still was overly careful about my ribs, “You have to come.” He said his eyes pleading.

I shook my head, “No.”

“I’m trying to rehearse here.” Miss Annie said, there was a tone of annoyance in her voice.

Jem gave a quick apology and pulled me from the room. “Jem!” I said and pulled my arm from his grip once we were in the break room, “I’m not going home!” I nearly yelled at him.

“God Tori! We’re not going home!” he yelled back.

I stopped before I could continue on with my rant.

“Mom’s in labor, we have to get to the hospital!” He said and grabbed my arm again. I grabbed my coat as he pulled me out of the break room and to the truck. Lilly was already sitting in the cab, “Tori! This is so exciting!” she said and giggled softly.