Chapter Twenty-Four - Dates and Dilemmas

Hello all.

I'm so exhausted. I have a lot of homework every night and my schedule is all over the place so I'm practically running from class to class. And I'm really behind on my writing. Anyway, it's the big DATE CHAPTER.

Warnings: self-consciousness

Feel free to comment your comments, questions, and concerns below!

------------------------------------------------------

May's POV
January 13, 2:00 pm

May walked out of school with Thomas. So, I have to tell you something, she signed. She still hadn't told him that her fathers wanted to meet him before they went on their date. Thomas gave her a worrying look. My dads want to meet you. Her words did not seem to ease him at all.

Your dads want to meet me? he asked. May nodded. Why?

They just want to make sure you're a good person. And you are, so you don't have anything to worry about. She knew they had to meet him because her fathers had to check and make sure Thomas wasn't secretly a monster in disguise, and she sincerely hoped he wasn't. She glanced into the parking lot, where Uncle Sam's car sat. I have to go. I'll see you at seven?

Yeah. Meet me at Grace's Diner.

Okay. See you later. May bounded down the front steps to the car, and slid inside. Hey, Uncle Sam.

Hey, Shortie. How was school?

Good. Where's Papa?

He went grocery shopping and called and said he wouldn't make it home in time, so here I am. I hear you have a date tonight.

May blushed. She couldn't help herself. Yeah.

Your friend Thomas?

Yeah.

He nodded once, then pulled out of the school parking lot.

January 13, 6:41 pm

May found herself staring at her reflection in the mirror hanging on her bedroom wall. She had to leave soon, but she just couldn't seem to tear herself away. The longer she looked at herself, the more her reflection became less like her. Why Thomas liked her, she didn't know. She was pretty average-looking, except for her eyes—she knew she had pretty eyes. May nearly jumped as another face appeared in the mirror next to her.

Your fathers and uncle are driving themselves crazy over this boy, Eileen signed. May gave her a small smile. Is something wrong? You look a little unsure.

May tore herself away from the mirror. It's nothing.

May, you know you can talk to me.

May glanced down at the floor, then back up at Eileen. I just don't understand why Thomas likes me. I'm not that pretty.

May, come sit down. Eileen gestured to her bed, and she perched on the edge. There are a million reasons why Thomas likes you. You are so smart, and incredibly sweet. You have little dimples when you smile, and your smile itself lights up the whole room. I would kill to have eyes as pretty as yours. That made May smile a little. And you are beautiful.

Thank you, Eileen.

Eileen pulled May into her arms and hugged her tight. When she pulled away, she turned to find Dad and Papa standing in the doorway. You ready to go? Dad asked. May nodded. Before we go, me and Papa need to talk to you about something.