Chapter Nine - Uncle Sam and Umbrellas

Hello all.

Ahh this story already hit 100 reads! Thanks for reading this.

Relay for life for my town is on Saturday and I haven't raised any money yet and my goal is $100 so I'm screwed.

Warnings: puking

Feel free to comment your comments, questions, and concerns below!
-------------------------------------------------------

Sam's POV
August 2, 6:17 am

Sam sat at the table in the center of the library on his laptop, and opened up his Skype app. He glanced around once more, confirming that no one else was in the library, and clicked on the one and only name in his contacts: Eileen.

Sam and Dean had worked a banshee case with Eileen at a nursing home months ago. Sam and Eileen became friends, and eventually, he asked her out. She had said yes, and the two had been together ever since.

Eileen and him shared similar life experiences. He never thought he could love another woman as much after he lost Jess. He was wrong.

Despite his love for Eileen, he hadn't told anyone about the two of them. Not even Dean.

The laptop screen was filled with Eileen's half-asleep face, the background pitch-black. Sorry. I forgot about time zones, he signed. She was away on a hunt in Oregon.

Eileen was deaf, like May. She preferred to sign, but wore hearing aids, so they would talk sometimes.

It's okay, she signed back as she smiled tiredly.

How's the hunt going?

It's over. I was just too tired to drive back last night. There was a pause, then she asked, When are you going to tell your family about us? I want to meet your brother-in-law and niece.

Dean and Cas knew that Sam and Eileen were friends, but Cas had never met her, and as far as Sam knew, May didn't know about Eileen.

A small pang of guilt hit his stomach. Not for Eileen, but for May. He really didn't know much about his niece, except for that she loved books, and she was probably the sweetest person he had ever met.

Sam was about to respond when he heard a yawn and bare feet on the concrete floor walking toward the library. He lowered his computer screen as May walked right past him, rubbing her eyes so she didn't notice him sitting there, and into the kitchen. Sam opened his laptop again, Eileen's frowning face filling the screen. Sorry. May walked through.

One day, Sam Winchester, you will have to introduce me to your family.

I know. I love you.

I love you, too.

Eileen disappeared as Sam closed the page, and shut down his laptop.

May's POV
August 2, 6:32 am

May rubbed the drowsiness from her eyes as she passed through the library on her way to the kitchen. She pulled a bowl, milk, and cereal, dancing and twirling around. May stopped abruptly as she turned to the kitchen table; Uncle Sam was leaning against the doorframe. She smiled shyly, blushing, and glanced down at the floor. Sorry. I didn't see you there.

Don't be sorry, May.

May sat down at the kitchen table, eating her breakfast. Her cheeks were still burning. Uncle Sam sat down on the opposite side of the table. Do you want to go to the bookstore with me? he asked.

Sure, May responded, sitting up a little straighter in her chair.

The closest bookstore doesn't open until ten, so we have to wait.

Okay. May smiled. Suddenly, her stomach tightened as bile rose in her throat. She swallowed it down, trying to mask the disgust on her face.

Are you okay? Uncle Sam asked, a concerned expression on his face.

I'm fine. May gave him a reassuring smile and stood, placing her bowl in the sink, then left to go lie down before she and Uncle Sam went to the bookstore.

11:13 am

Someone was shaking May's shoulder. Did she fall asleep? She opened her eyes to find Uncle Sam looming above her. Oh God, her stomach hurt so bad; she felt like she had to throw up. You ready to go? Uncle Sam asked.

May smiled despite the heat she could feel crawling across her face.

Uncle Sam frowned. Are you okay? Do you feel well?

I'm fine, she replied and smoothed down her hair, following Uncle Sam through the halls and into the garage, where she noticed that Dad's car was gone. Where are Dad and Papa?

They went out.

Her head pounded against her skull, and she felt incredibly dizzy. May climbed into Uncle Sam's car and rolled down the window a crack before realizing it was raining.

Seven minutes later, they pulled up outside of a little restaurant May could barely see through the pouring rain. Are you hungry? Uncle Sam asked.

May wasn't hungry at all, but she thought some food would help settle her stomach. She grabbed the little black umbrella she brought with her and opened it, smacking Uncle Sam in the side of the head as it opened. Sorry! I'm so sorry.

Uncle Sam smiled and took the umbrella from her. It's okay. I'll hold it.

12:02 pm

May was wrong. She was so freaking wrong.

The food did not help settle her stomach at all. In fact, it made the ache increase into a major pain in her side.

Uncle Sam signed the check, and since the rain had started to let up, they made the short walk from the restaurant to the bookstore. May opened the umbrella and smacked Uncle Sam in the face, again. I'm sorry! I swear I'm not doing it on purpose.

It's alright, Shortie. He took the umbrella from her again.

Her stomach was not feeling any better. Each step May took, and each breath she drew, would send a sharp pain to her right abdomen. She followed Uncle Sam into a corner of the bookstore.

You can pick out any book you want, he told her.

She wandered around for a few minutes, mostly just to try and dilute the pain in her stomach. God, she couldn't take it anymore. If the pain got any worse, she would puke.

What about this book? Uncle Sam asked and presented a book with a title May didn't have enough time to read because she bent over and threw up all over the carpet of the bookstore.

-------------------------------------------------------
1. This chapter was just going to be cute and not end in a cliffhanger but then I was like nah.

2. Eileen is a character from 11x11 "Into the Mystic" and I. Am. Saileen. Trash. (Saileen = Sam + Eileen) I LOVE HER SO MUCH I LEGIT STARTED CRYING BC SUPERNATURAL HAD ITS FIRST DEAF CHARACTER I WANT THEM TO BRING HER BACK AS A RECURRING CHARACTER.

See ya next week!