Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five: Interference

{Rin's POV}

I laughed enjoying the food around the fire with everyone. Times like this made me appreciate the friends I made. They were unique in their own ways.

I opened my eyes to take in the scene again, but everyone was gone. Warmth spread over my body and then pain.

I screamed in agonizing pain as I witnessed myself raipidly morphing into a demon.

Your worst fear. You cannot hide what you truly are forever. It's a miracle you've made it this far honestly.

I searched my surroundings desperately until I caught a glimpse of a light in the distance. A small fox walked into view. It looked like the only sane and beautiful creature in this world. I walked over to it captivated by its aura.

As I got closer the pink markings all over it's body became more prominent. Once I was standing right in front of it I saw something suspicious.

On the head of the fox, was a series of symbols we learned about in class. I inspected the small furry animal and found it covered in the same symbols.

Seals. Like the one on that bridge, or the one dad used to seal my sword. What is this?

"Rin!"

That was Orphia's voice, but this was my conscience. There was no way she was in here. But as I glanced down at the fragile animal in my hands the blue flames erupted from my body again and spread to its pure white fur.

The screams. They were heartbreaking. Mind-shattering.

"Rin, calm down. It's okay"

The screams died down, madness fading away. I sat on the ground cradling the injured fox.

"Forgive me" I whispered to it.

My mind has twisted, playing games with me to cause me pain and suffering.

"It's okay"

Bright light shone from the creature until a more familiar figure lied in my arms. Orphia with nine tails and seals etched into her skin.

"It was you this whole time?" I asked in shock. She smiled weakly and placed a hand on my cheek.

No. This is another trick isn't it? This isn't her. It can't be. It's illogical.

"Rin, I'm going to protect you. I promise" her eyes were dull and strength strained.

You read every book there is written about this girl. She's too strong for this to be her. She couldn't be beaten so quickly.

My mind betrayed me yet again. Memories from the monastery, her kidnapping, the naberius, even Amaimon's attack on the camp.

"You never lived up to expectations" I laughed.

"My father sealed me away before casting me out. I never will unless I'm freed somehow" she stated. It made sense. Why she could never defend herself to the fullest extent. Why she couldn't save dad.

After all this time, I realized deep down I loved this girl. But now, my mind I was being fooled into blaming her for everything.