Deserted and Dateless

lily pov

I was sat in the corner -surrounded by the deserted chairs of my friends who were all long gone, dancing away with their partners - admiring the decorations I had spent hours on, reflecting on my lousy dateless life. The usual. And to top it all off Remus had earlier explained in great detail how because he had to go to visit his gravely ill mother he couldn't do our duty tonight and had left it to James! Really?! Even 3 hours with Sirius boasting about his hair would be better than having Potter constantly ask me out, and try to compliment me.

Speaking of the devil, I could see him and Sirius trying to learn the Macarena off Peter, leaving their dates all sitting at a table gazing lovely up at them. Apart from Potter, who didn't seem to have a date – I bet he had already insulted her and she was sobbing her heart out in the toilets. Poor thing. That reminds me I should probably go to the loo before meeting James as I do not trust him to cover for me if McGonagall checked up on us. I think History of magic ones are closest, I've got 5 minutes. I better run.

10:01 pm

James will be late I said to myself while half jogging down the corridor to the doors of the great hall, no need to rush, but as a prefect I should really be punctual. I turned the corner and there he was leaning against a wall his face half illuminated by the candles, his jaw bone looking rather sharp, and ruffling his hair with his free hand- BRAIN STOP!! This is James Potter,the player who breaks more hearts than he does Hogwarts pranking records ,defiantly not someone with a hot jaw bone!

"Evans! Two minutes late I see? Not exactly punctual?" he said with a cocky smile.

"I just... I didn't expect you to be early and had to go to the loo.." I said stuttering slightly and turning red.

"I'm joking! No need to worry, we're both here now, let's get started patrolling some corridors. Fun I know."

"Trust me I'd rather not be doing it with you – it's only because Remus' mum is ill, I agreed to put up with your obnoxious behaviour for a night."

"I'm just helping out a friend – plus why would I refuse an offer to spend time with you?" he said with his usual cheeky grin, but looked uncomfortable at the mention of Remus.

"Shut it Potter." I said pulling at the skirt of my dress.

"Oh and I completely forgot to tell you that you look absolutely gorgeous tonight. The green really complements your hair, flower." He said sincerely

"Let's just get on with our duties." I said feeling my cheeks heat up.

The history of magic corridor was empty along with transfiguration however in the DADA corridor we found a small first year boy sitting alone, sniffling.

I was about to go up to him when James put a hand on my arm, stopping me, before walking over himself. I tried tremendously hard to ignore the sparks his touch had sent up and down my arm, while scowling at his retreating figure.

"Hey little guy. Are you okay? You're missing out on some really great food in there. Dumbledore really went all out, caldron cakes and everything. Why are you out here all alone and foodless? He said gently. I'm actually surprised he isn't teasing the poor boy.

"It's just," sniff "this girl I really liked" sniff "said no" sniff "again"

"Now that I can relate to." He said with a laugh but looked rather sad for the little one "here's some advice from someone who knows what you are going through – give her some space, there's probably a reason why she said no, respect it, become friends with her first, don't keep pestering her. Trust me." He said with a smile in my direction "girls don't really appreciate that."

Oh, wow. Now I feel like even worse a person than I did before. I never realised just how much I was hurting his feelings by constantly rejecting him. Well know I put it like that I see I was a bit harsh. Okay more like horrible.

"Go on, go grab one of those cauldron cakes before they run out." James tells the hufflepuff 1st year with a slight nudge.

And we both turn around to watch him run off towards the great hall.

"Look James..." I start.

"Don't worry about it – I realise that constantly pestering you probably wasn't the best idea ever, and it's the reason I don't have a chance with you Lilyflower. I get that. But I should be one saying sorry- so, sorry for bugging you with my affections." He said sadly looking towards the floor.

"James look – I really enjoyed being friends with you briefly, I'm really sorry I ruined that by overreacting about everything, if you really want to know you are the only one who ever compliments me and honestly you are actually really sweet. Sometimes." I say sincerely.

"Friends? Again" he said chuckling.

"friends." I say giving him a quick hug before heading back to the common room with my new friend. James Potter.

"I forgot to ask, what did you do to your date to make her leave that early on in the night?" I say laughing.

He looked puzzled at the question. "I didn't have one – you could say I was waiting for the right moment to ask someone special. But it never came." He said with a sad smile before telling the fat lady the password and stepping through the portrait hole.

Hi friends,

I'm really sorry for lack of updates but I wasn't really feeling the story anymore - luckily @callux was a bae and helped me out with ideas and now i'm ready to write! hope you are all well and congrats for reading this far into the A/N :) please tell me if you enjoyed, comment your fav character ect..    

5 votes maybe? 

vote/comment/share

love,

HufflepuffHagrid x