Books and old friendships (1)

Lily's POV

I look over at my dimly lit clock, craning my neck to see over the nest of blankets that surround me- 7;30pm. Oh damn. I can't have been reading for that long I think in disbelief but I catch a glimpse of the darkened sky outside my common room window and know my clock does not deceive me.

PREFECT DUTY!!

I can't believe I forgot! Curse my book for distracting me, well it helped keep my mind off Sev for a bit so it wasn't so bad... No I must stop dawdling I need to find my robes. I untangle myself from the cocoon of blankets surrounding me ,but lose my footing and fall face first onto the floor. At the loud crash my friend Mary runs to my aid trying to hold in her laughter at my stupidity.

"Please can you just help me- I'm already late for my duties." I say pleading with my brunette friend.

"oh come on Lils, prefect duty again? We never get to see you anymore!" Mary jokingly pouts, raising her dark eyebrows in mock accusation, as she helps free my legs.

"well you know it kind of is a weekly thing , anyway I would hate to neglect my responsibilities." I start to ramble on about what I still have to do tonight,

" Lils we all know you're trying to distract yourself, you know you can talk to us if you need to right? You can trust us." She gently says, meaning her and my other two friends Emmy and Mar.

" I'll talk to you guys later - I really am running late.." I say while pulling my arm through my robes and stamping down the circular stairs to the common room. There I find a sandy haired Remus Lupin, my fellow Gryffindor prefect, and together we make our way to the corridor ready to start our patrol for the night. As I have time to really think about what day it is I feel my eyes prickle as my mind goes back precisely one year ago today;

"I don't need your help, you're nothing but a filthy mudblood!" Shouts my once best friend Severus Snape. The word pounds in my head, reminding me off what will always separate me and the wizarding world- my blood.

I am brought out of my trance by Remus lightly shaking my shoulder, it is only then that I realise that I have suddenly stopped in the middle of the staircase, feet hovering between stairs.

"Lily , are you okay? You look a bit upset?" Remus gently asks in a soft voice.

As my eyes find his amber ones I notice how tired and dull they look, I realise he has his own burdens as I take a deep breath and blink quickly.

"Yeah yeah I'm fine don't worry. So what have you written about in your transfiguration essay, I still haven't finished mine yet?" I lie as I try desperately to change the subject even though I completed all 7 inches off mine last night.

As Remus talks animatedly about human transfiguration I resign to myself to keep my emotions in check and the rest of patrol goes smoothly, only finding one first year hufflepuff, lost desperately wanting to go to bed, after pointing them in the direction of the kitchens. We reach the common room at half past eight and I drag my legs up to the girls dormitory, collapsing onto my bed wrapping myself in blankets I fall into a dreamless slumber.

I was suddenly being shaken awake by a very annoyed Mary.

"it's that idiot Snape, says he wants to talk to you, I obviously told him to piss off but he threatened to sleep outside, that no good son of a.." shouted a very angry Mary before I had the sense to interrupt.

"its okay Mary, I'll go see what he wants "

" Don't go he might do some dark magic! I'll go disguised as you while you call McGonagall and she gets some Aurors in and they fight him to the death while you stay safe up here." Finished a very out of breath flushed Mary.

" I'm sure none of that will be necessary, I'm taking my wand and I am quite good at charms if he tries to hex me you know, come on wait here I'll tell you all about it when I come back." I tell my overexcited friend. I do love Mary by sometimes she is really bonkers.

I walk down to the common room, pulling my dressing gown tighter around me as open the portrait hole coming face to face with a very upset Snape.

"I'm sorry"

"I'm not interested"

"I'm sorry!"

"Save your breath"

" Look, I never meant to call you a mudblood.."

" Snape it's been a year just forget about us , its time to move on make some new friends like I have.."

" But I don't want new friends!" complained a greasy haired teen.

"Well you should have thought about that before calling me a mudblood." I spitefully told my ex- best friend. On that note I walked through the portrait hole preparing myself to spill the beans to my three friends.

Third person POV

A tall boy with round glasses and unruly messy hair stepped out from behind a suit of armour to look longingly at the red haired girl who had just disappeared through the portrait hole. Saying the password himself and making his way through the entrance he went back to his common room.

Hi thanks for reading this chapter- I will update soon. Any chapter ideas? I welcome any character descriptions too. Please vote and comment if you liked ~ add this story to your library for notifications when I update 😉
Thanks again,

HufflepuffHagrid