f o u r t e e n

#17 in Spiritual. Alhamdulillah :D

"Though nothing can bring back the hour,

Of splendour in the grass, Of glory of the flower;

We will grieve not, rather find,

Strength in what remains behind". -William Wordsworth.

f o u r t e e n

Sunlight filtered through the plaid patterned maroon curtain into the room casting a reddish hue as it translucently illuminated the room. The top grommeted drape of the double curtain was layered aside on either side secured by an ornamental rope. A plush couch sat in front of the large windows, veiled by the curtains. At a fair amount of distance, away from the couch, lay an oak queen size bed on which Samairah was sprawled.

The sun was almost at its highest position in the sky and her morning hadn't yet started. The room was getting hotter as the day almost progressed to mid noon and Samairah not tolerating the heat as she slept, groggily opened her eyes searching for the remote for air conditioner that lay on the side stand. But before the could even switch it on, she was shocked as her eyes strayed towards the digital clock on the wall directly opposite her bed.

Eleven thirty three a.m.

She shooted right up, realised that she had missed Fajr, her mood notched down and an irritating feeling flooded through her. The events of night played back and she culpably remembered how she had missed last night's Isha. A slight headache started to form, as her irritation and anger grew.

What had she done? Not only had she missed two salaah but also she had taken two roses. Samairah rested her head against the headboard and sat with her knees curled upto her chest whilst she looked up and stared at the ceiling.

It was tinted a midnight blue with stars scattered throughout the wall which heavily contrasted with all other walls of the room which were beige coloured and were punctuated with silvery embroidered wallpaper. It had been her parent's room but ever since their grandparents died, they had shifted to the master bedroom on ground floor with Ibrahim occupying the room beside it.

Samairah opted for this one because she loved how this room was nudged between ground and upper floor, between the two flights of stairs. It reminded her of platform nine and three quarters as in her all time favourite book, Harry Potter. Only this one, would be zero and half floor, she thought, as she chuckled at her own thoughts. When she had shifted into this room, the only change she had made was to paint the ceiling for her love for starry night skies.

Almost an hour passed by as she sat there, thinking and over thinking about everything. She felt that this was a waste day anyway. She had missed her Fajr prayer and she had a feeling that each time she missed it, her day wouldn't go well. It was a weird feeling, but it was always there at the back of her mind. She thought about life in general. For today, she just didn't want to focus on her own life. She thought that her life had enough problems and thinking about them and reminding herself of them all would make her more apprehensive and gloomy.

So instead, she just sat there and thought of all the circumstances that couldn't happen. All the good circumstances though. She thought how awesome it would be if she would visit Rio de Janerio or if she'd finally get to see the famous Nile River, if she would ever stand on Point Zero in France or wander the desert of Gulf. There were a million scenarios that she imagined herself into. And her mood became better. She felt happy as if she had experienced it all just by the power of imagination.

She looked at her phone to check the time, although a big watch hung on the wall in the room. It was just out of habit to look at phone to check the time, even when she wore a wrist watch. She was startled as she looked at the notification on the screen which showed twenty seven missed calls.