◀ t h r e e ▶

"Because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best." - The Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who.

« t h r e e »

The rain poured down unceremoniously this Sunday Morning. Samairah sat in the backseat of the car and peered out through the window. Her mind was absorbed sensing the atmosphere, the distinct smell of rain that wafted through the air conditioning of the car as chilly air swept all over, her ears were engaged to the harmony of the pitter patter of the raindrops and her eyes didn't leave the window as she watched how the raindrops struck the window with force and silently slid down.  At times like this, specially long distance car rides, all Samairah would do was silently gaze outside through the window hardly speaking a word to anyone. She talked only if someone asked her a question and reverted to her silence, her actions loudly speaking that she wasn't interested to talk. That was how car rides with Samairah were. She sat with her mom in the backseat while Ibrahim, her younger brother sat in the shotgun beside the driver who was driving them to farm house in Moinabad, a place a few kilometres away from her city, Hyderabad. It was just another family gathering which was no less than a picnic but they had the privacy of private property and the delectation of using the swimming pool anytime of the day. Her mind felt heavy and she just couldn't stare silently out through the window today. She tried to keep her mind idle but it always started wandering towards an unwelcome territory. She tried to hold back her mind from thinking about him but to no avail. So, she tried to distract herself. She looked at her mom whose entire attention was in her laptop as she tried to compose few emails for her work before they reached the farmhouse. That was her mother, a pure workaholic. And her brother was busy playing some game and she wouldn't know what to speak to him in front of the driver and her mother, even if he was free. She turned to her phone hoping WhatsApp would provide the necessary distraction. And she knew it was a good decision because a very important discussion was going on in her CRA members group. Samairah was an active part of the social organisation, Children Relief Association and she tried to give her best to it. Her Sunday or Saturday would usually be devoted to it. But since today she had some family matters to attend to, she had asked Khansa, a friend of hers in CRA to cover up for her. Khansa was more than happy to oblige because Samairah would usually cover up for her, every last Sunday of the month because Khansa would have another program called DARE, an organisation for Doctors and Medical Students, to tend to. The WhatsApp group was currently brimming with messages as they discussed about all the changes they could make and various new ideas they put forth. Since, most of the members were busy and tried to make out time from their schedule, it was impossible for everyone to gather for a meeting at the same time at a particular venue, so WhatsApp group was their best way to discuss about it all. Samairah whispered a silent Alhamdulillah that they could work out a way and put these modern inventions to their use. She would always have a tugging disappointment in her heart that along with being involved all the good work, she had to clear up her time from all the waste and vain things she was involved in. She tried her best but she always slipped up to the fitnahs of the world. Yet she continued her Astaghfaar with Allah SWT knowing too well that He, being Arhamar-Rahimeen would forgive her if she wholeheartedly asked for forgiveness.

Time flew by as she was consumed with the thoughts of CRA and tried to think of novice ways, they pulled up by farmhouse. The rain had slowed down to a drizzle and all of them rushed into the house soon as they left the car. After saying her Salaams to her Chacha and Tayabbu in the outer room, she and her mother went inside into the hall where all the women were assembled whereas Ibrahim went directly to the gaming room upstairs where all the young boys would be huddled since the weather didn't allow them to step outside. Chachi was busy making tea and heating up pakoreh as it would be the perfect thing to snack on at this weather while Tayammi was busy with her grandchild Yaqoob, who was almost an year old while she caught up with her eldest daughter, Rumesa. Her mother quickly joined her chachi in the kitchen while Samairah said her Salaams to her chachi, tayammi and Rumesa baji and quickly rushed to the girls room to meet her cousins. She had two sisters from her tayammi, Rumesa aapi being the eldest of all and Safoora who was almost Samairah's age, she was pursuing Masters in Pharmacy while they had a brother, Danish who worked in the States. Danish bhai was her favourite brother because he was the elder brother she never had and also he hardly ever teased her unlike her other cousin brothers. From her chachi, she had one sister, Ayeza who was the youngest of all the cousins. She had three brothers from her chachi, two of them were twins, Sameer and Sohail who were the same age as of Ibrahim and their eldest brother, Asif who had a job in Hyderabad. She didn't have any phuppu. That was her father's side of the family, three brothers and almost everyone was present that day at farmhouse except her dad and Danish bhai. She missed her dad. But they would FaceTime him and Danish bhai at dinner, that was the routine for everyone who was absent at such family gatherings, all the members present would video call who weren't present and have a good talk. Currently, all her cousins were huddled around Noura, the eldest daughter of Rumesa aapi. She was three years old and was the epitome of cuteness with the way she conversed and each time Noura was surrounded by all her cousins. Right now, they were teaching Noura Aayat ul Kursi and honestly it was so endearing to just sit and watch her try to read it in her baby slurry voice.