* * *

December 24th:

"Today is awful. I don't even know why, but it's Monday and I just felt like I wanted to kill someone," Ayla cooed into the phone, clearly sounding beaten by her long day.

I called her as soon as I left my hotel this morning at 6:00AM. Luckily it was only 4:00PM for Ayla at home, so I had time to chat. When we do get to talk on the phone, this is the time it normally is. Fourteen hours is a big difference.

"I'm sorry baby, what happened?"

"Nothing. I mean, just... I don't know. I guess I'm just in a bad mood and I don't really know why. Patients were okay, nothing went wrong. I think it's just me," she somberly sighed. "I have a patient in 20 minutes by the way."

"Well, feel free to hang up on me when you need to. I'm so sorry that you're not having a good day. I'm sure it's just a case of the Mondays and you'll be fine and wake refreshed in the morning," I tried comforting her as I walked down the sidewalk to the shuttle that was waiting for the cast and crew that stayed at the hotel.

"Yeah, I hope so," she whispered.

I felt like I could feel her sorrow through the phone because she was so quiet. So uncharacteristically melancholy and hushed; I wish there was something I could say to make it better.

"It will be better," I tried to smile and remembered that in a few hours for her, it's Christmas Eve.

It's Christmas Eve here already and I've been trying not to think about it. Neither has she. I have one more repeat scene to film today, then I'm done. But I'm trying to not dwell. I'm fifteen hours ahead of Ayla's timezone, so I'm betting on being home with her for at least a good portion of the holiday. God, I hope so.

"I miss you. That's my problem," Ayla crackles firmly through the silence.

I'm ascending the stairs of the shuttle bus as she whispers these words in my ear and it takes everything to not visibly show my despair. She never says it like that. I mean, yes she tells me she misses me. But she always says it in an uplifting way. In her words: 'Why would I say it sadly, when I don't want to feel that way? I try to stay happy and dream about you coming home. That's what makes this easy.'

"Don't say that," is the first thing that slips out of my lungs.

And I didn't even say it in a calming way.

"I mean, that's not-"

"I know how you meant it. It's fine. I have to go anyway. Patients here early. I love you, bye," she plainly said into the phone and hung up immediately.

I didn't expect anything less than what just happened since I told her if she needs to hang up to do so. But now all I feel is anger. Anger because she isn't supposed to tell me that she misses me. Anger because I miss her too. Anger because this last scene I have to do better be over fast as shit.

I love you. I miss you. I will be holding you soon.

I texted to her before shoving my phone in my pocket and scrunching my face to my impeding fingers that rub my eyes.

"Last day," Davey leaned over from across the aisle and nudged me.

I inhaled deeply and nodded, daydreaming straight ahead of me.

"Yeah. Last day."

* * *

December 25th:

"When does it leave?"

"Sir it's scheduled for departure 11 but there is a weather delay."

"Are there any other flights leaving sooner? Leaving now?"