Chapter 43 - I Love Myself !!

Start from the beginning

"Where is Aaliya?", I asked feeling out of breath all of a sudden. I am not mentally prepared for 'The Talk' with him. I need someone to support me or give me courage.

"She's on her way. She'll take some time. Now, can we talk? Please", he said in a requesting tone. I looked at him and he looked at me in a pleading way.

Oh, my poor heart!!

Leaving a deep sigh, I just nodded. Dan smiled at me and then he holds my hand. We walked out of the banquet to the garden area at the back. The whole way, I felt goosebumps covering my body. I felt giddy as his hands were touching mine but the pain does linger inside my heart at the sight of his Engagement ring. He's not mine. He's taken.

There were few marbles made benches. Dan and I sat one of them. I placed my hands on my lap. I felt bad for my left hand because Dan holds my right hand only. I guess I can't get enough of him or his touch. We stayed silent for some time. Neither he said anything nor do I, just like old times. He's still the same. The same shy, an introvert guy of few words.

"How's life?", This time I broke the silence. My voice cracked up a bit. He looked at me. He looked so vulnerable.

"She's beautiful and right now sitting in front of me", he whispered as a single tear rolled down his cheeks. He took a deep breath and looked away clenching his jaws.

My heart missed its beat. Seeing him so hurt made me cry. I wiped away my tears and so did he. I took three deep breath to calm my emotional self.

"I can second that. Your life must be beautiful but she's coming. She's on her way", I said and he gave me a bitter laugh.

"I'm sorry Shanaya", he said looking up at me again, "I'm sorry for breaking your heart". His words made me cry again.

I looked away. These tears are not going to stop today. The dam I've been building up is breaking and I'm just an emotional mess today. Someone just stops these tears for god sake.

"I can explain everything. I can fix everything", he said.

You're three years late Daniel!!

"Kristein has explained everything to me. What will you fix? Yours and Aaliya's broken relationship or my relationship with you both?", I asked and he looked away.

"Why are you being so harsh on yourself or the girl whom you love?", I asked.

"I was cruel to in the back. I'm just punishing myself for that. I can't forgive myself", he said.

"You don't deserve it, Dan. You love Aaliya and she loves you. Why are you being guilty? If this is because of me then don't be. I forgive you", I said smiling at him. He silently looked into my eyes without blinking.

"I don't love her. That night was a mistake", he said. As soon as his words left his mouth, my whole world flipped upside down.

"How could you say something so rude?", I asked.

"I've loved only one girl and that's YOU. I did major mistakes in my past but I want you back", he said crying.

"You can't say something like this. You've been engaged to my best friend. I've moved on in my life, Daniel", I lied looking away from him.