Chapter seventeen

I stand up and slowly move my way over to a rock Finnick had occupied.

" Its hard being back here" he slowly breathed, his hot breath emanating a slight warmth, contrasting against the cold air, creating small clouds of condensation.

" you got that right, all I can see are the dead bodies around me, calling out to me telling me that it was my fault that they died." I chime in, not being able to stand the long periods of silence

" do you ever wonder what would have happened if you didn't return? like if someone else would have won?"

"sadly, almost every day. But every time I see my sisters face it reminds me that if someone stronger from district two, per-say, was to win, she would be lost, alone and completely broken. And to think that during those games, I came close to gibing up so many times that it nearly costed my life. I have given up back there, like I had intended to, I know that my family would be lost." I huff out, staring at the cloud of fog rising towards the tree canopies.

A small noise was heard from the two sleeping victors below us. Katniss must have been having a nightmare of the sort as she let out a small whimper - almost inaudible

"your sister wouldn't have been the only one to struggle." Finnick whispers,as quite as he can muster, trying not to wake the sleeping pair.

"what do you mean?"

"well like... you have helped so many people and have changed so many, negative, pessimistic view on the world into a better one not necessarily, painting this world we live in he be completely perfect or utopian, so to speak, but more, changing their 'I hate this word and everyone in it and we are all going to die an unfulfilled, boring, half ass life' into a more 'I have a beautiful wife and adoring children and yes, this world and some people are completely awful, the people that I have are truly amazing ' and honestly, I dot think that a million people stronger victors could compare to that true compassion."

Seconds later my arms had been thrown around his neck as I quietly sobbed into his shoulder thanking him over and over again whilst he rubbed slow circles into my back

"try to get some sleep, I can keep watch out" he whispers finally into my hair

"hey Finnick?" I asked, slowly lying down

"mm?" he answered back, beginning to sharpen his spear heads

"thank you" I whisper as I begin to close my eyes

"any time" the victor coos as I finally drift off to sleep