Gates of Hell

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: -webkit-auto;">My hands latched onto the rusted iron bars. My fingers pressing into the rust sending flecks of metal falling to the cold cement floor. My eyes searched around the darkness, looking for Nathaniel. 

"Nate?" I called into the darkness. 

I felt something latch onto the gates opposite, a pair of hurt, tired eyes met mine at my level. His hand extended onto mine, pressing my fingers harder into the rusted iron, latching tight onto my outline, trying to be together. 

"I'm so sorry Alex," he whispered, my ears just picking up the sound. 

I tried to hold back the tears that I could feel at the back of my throat. It bought a stinging feeling to my eyes. I swallowed loudly, trying to push through the break down. I couldn't cry, well I wouldn't cry in front of Nathaniel. 

"Nate, I-"

He pressed his finger to my mouth, his lips curved up into an o shape, a gentle 'shh' escaping his lips. I took this opportunity to slink down with my back against the iron gates. Nathaniel standing over me, as if he were my guardian angel. 

"Am I going to die?" I asked, my back turned to him. 

I heard my blood pumping through my ears not really wanting to know the answer of this. At least a minute went past and Nate said nothing. 

"Nate!" I hissed, "answer me," I pleaded, "please," I could barely push out. 

That's when the tears broke through, I pushed my fist into my mouth, trying to muffle the sounds of my cry. 

"Alex, I don't know. I'm sorry. I knew this was dangerous." I spun to face him, "I just didn't think they'd be onto us." He stopped. 

I rolled over onto my knees and met his eyes. His eyes were sincere, torn, hurt. The violet glow of his Iris's didn't shine anymore, instead they darkened to a deep blue. It pained me to watch him look so useless. 

"Where are we?" I choked up, still trying to hide my fear. 

"Versailles." He replied flat. 

"As in the palace?" 

"Yes," a muscle jumped from his jaw, the wonder and beauty of Versailles seemed like a hell hole now. More like my grave. I've always wanted to visit Paris but not under these circumstances. 

"Why won't you break me out!" I raged at Nathaniel, my hands shaking the gate while on my knees. 

He coiled at my words. He bent down to my level and lifted my head up to his. 

"I'm compelled not to." He replied ashamed. 

"Break out of the convulsion!" I snapped at him. 

He shook his head and looked at me breaking down and loosing all sense of sanity. I lost it. My tears were coming out in gasps, my breath not function and I heaved with the tears. 

"Alex, I promise I will get you out of here." Nathaniel said playing with my hair. 

"I just want to go home." I cried like a baby. 

"Me too." He agreed. 

I watched as Nathaniel spun around and he stood in front of my body protecting Me. I then realised that someone was at the door and coming at us. Nathaniel was held prisoner and I shuffled back into the corner afraid. Someone grabbed me and carried me like a child soothing me. I watched behind me as Nathaniel kept his eyes with mine. Both of us afraid. I felt the wind rushing past me and Nathaniel was still behind us keeping up, still restrained. I was carried to a room and laid out on an alter. I looked to my right and I saw Felix, Emily and Nathaniel all together, all restrained. Felix and Emily looked saddened towards me, Nathaniel was looking somewhat hopeful. 

"We have gathered here today to witness the execution of Alexis Treacher." A vampire stated.

"No!" Nathaniel restrained against his restraint. "Kill me, not her!" 

"No!" I yelled. "I'm ok with it Nate. I will be free with Jake." I started to cry again. 

"Alex." Nathaniel strained my name. "I don't want to intrude my future wife's death, but may I please be frank with you all? Killing my future wife who has intended on turning is sending out a vile message. You know nothing of all of our nature. So executing Alex in the name of secrecy when she made her decision is morally wrong." 

All the rulers looked at Nathaniel looked at me. 

"We really are getting married." I showed them my ring that Nathaniel slipped on. 

"I didn't think you'd notice." Nathaniel said relieved. 

"Stop right there." Jedediah said. "This execution will go ahead as planned. We never go back on our word." 

I started to cry and watched and Nathaniel was hissing and spitting, Felix and Emily kept their heads low and didn't do anything. I closed my eyes and hoped for the best. I love you Nathaniel. Thank you Felix and Emily. </pre>