Biology

We walked in just in time for Miss Hener to be fuzzing around the class, looking frustrated and flushed. We weren't allowed to take our usual seats as she had made an allocated seating chart. The class groaned when we all found out, the mood for today's lesson turned to disappointment.

"I vote this is due to PMS," Trish whispered in my ear.

I let off one single "Ha," and tried to cover up my hysterical laughter by placing my hand over my mouth, laughing through my nose making snorting noises. I breathed in and used my hand to flush myself to normal from that funny comment.

"No, I vote her lack of love life to create a seating plan," I whispered back.

Trish lost it and her name got called on by Miss Hener. Miss Hener flipping her grey hair back behind her ear. Trish stopped laughing and tied her blonde hair back into a pony tail. I looked at Nathaniel beside me and he had a hard look on his face. He was concentrating on what Miss Hener was doing.

"I'm going to have to go by memory," she announced to the class.

Nathaniel relaxed his face and looked softly down at me. I pulled my bag closer to my shoulder blades, one strapping it. Trish was pulling my other hand down in some hope that we would be sitting next to each other. I doubted that very much. The first row got called and Trish had to leave me. She traced her finger from her tear duct, down past her nose and to her lips to signal to me that she was crying inside. I looked at Trish's body and envied her again. The way her legs were so skinny like twigs, lean and thin. She always wore athletic shorts that her buttox always was attracting some sort of male attention. Her perfect blonde hair that hung straight, her sparkling blue eyes, everything about that girl I envied. My name got called and I had to sit with Nathaniel in the corner up the back.

"Partner," Nathaniel said shaking my hand.

His hands were frozen to what I remembered them to be before. I nodded my head and gulped once before following him to the back corner. He took almost the whole desk leaving me trapped in the corner feeling conscious about myself. He extended his right hand across the desk with a peculiar bracelet. It was gold and black with an eagle and a lion calved in silver against the outline of gold.

"I'm sorry but that's a very significant bracelet, it's very bold and powerful with the two creatures," I told him.

He glanced into my eyes and looked at me hard. He had this tenebrous aura surrounding him that was somewhat alluring.

"Two beautiful creatures that humanity believes danger allures from them, however they are bold as you mentioned also a representation of skill, determination and agility for the Lion, whereas freedom, power and vision comes from the Eagle." He told me.

I had no idea what he was going on about but I took it as my cue to leave that conversation there. He looked to my left wrist at my bracelet. I looked where his eyes were looking then with one flick, his eye lashes pointed darkly at mine.

"That bracelet, it has to be of some significance to you. The way the stones are chipped and the outer edge is rusting, could I guess a passed away relative?" He asked me.

I looked down to my ruby bracelet and almost cried at the thought of my baby brother who passed away one year today. I totally forgot. How could I forget my own brothers passing date? I got my books and ran out of class crying.

"Alexis Treacher! Where are you going? Come back young lady!" Miss Hener cried.

 I ran to the bathroom down the hall and locked a bathroom stall behind me. I slunk down to the foul bleach smelling floor, disgusted at myself for forgetting my little brothers death. He meant so much to me. How stupid and moronic of me to forget. I banged my head a couple of times against the door, sending flecks of wood all around me. I didn't care, I deserved it. I cried till my heart content, well to be honest it was in a million pieces again. The though of seeing Jake in his room, cold, eyes closed, not breathing came back to haunt me.

"Jake I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I repeated myself over and over again. Once the crying had subsided I got up and decided to go home for the day, I opened the stall and saw Nathaniel casually leaning against the bathroom door.

"What are you-? Get out!" I growled.

He straightened up and his eyes looked sincere.

"That was terribly rude of me to inquire such a horrible representation of your bracelet," he apologised.

"Why do you speak like that?" I wondered.

"Speak how may you ask?" He asked back.

"You speak like you're from another time. Like early something century." I said sniffing up my tears.

Nathaniel cocked his head to the side and looked at me smiling playfully. Damn his eyes were melting into mine. His violet smouldering eyes burned into my skin making me go cold.

"I guess you could say I was bought up to enunciate my words and to speak highly. Is that an answer you were searching for?" He offered.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess. Just nobody uses words in a sentence like you do," 

His eye gaze turned it curiosity, then he tightened his jaw. Three blue veins popped out of his neck and he took a step forward. I took one back.

"I'm not going to hurt you Alex," he told me.

I breathed in a gasp and my body turned to shock. That voice rang through my ears almost ten years ago. He, my guardian angel. I looked into his eyes, violet, a brilliant mauve. His clothing was all black, his hair cropped and his hands a soothing chill. I took in deep breaths, my breath shaking in realisation that I was standing with my saviour.

"Your voice! No! It can't be!" My voice rang through my ears.

"I knew about your brother Alex, he passed of a brain aneurism. I know that your parents are away due to their work but they're actually gone to escape the house. The memory of Jacob haunts them and they feel loathing against themselves because nothing could have changed the past of what happened."

I backed myself up against the wall. My breaths coming out sharp and fast and my head was spinning in a million circles. He knew everything about me.

"How come you're the same person today then? You haven't changed one bit!" I sounded accusing.

"I have changed in character, you made me believe that the monster inside of me can be tamed."

"What does that even mean?! Stop making everything so cryptic! You owe me the truth," I spat.

I felt my back slide down the wall, my body looking feeble and weak. I couldn't handle this anymore. I ran past him and he grabbed my arm as I ran past him.

"Let go!" I hissed.

"Please don't do anything stupid Alex. You're known to do something reckless when you're upset," Nathaniel warned me.

He let go and I ran all the way to my car, crying tears of hurt and anger. I closed my door and went home. I drove in a rush ignoring speed signs and stop signs.

'How's this for reckless?' I thought to myself.

I locked myself in the house and cried gentle tears, my body sprawled out on the kitchen floor.