Nightmare

The forest was dense with green leaves that draped layer upon layer like a curtain. The trees were ancient, moss climbed the whole bodice of the tree, vines wrapping up, the tree looking like a prisoner although it claimed its glory years earlier. The weaker trees as I walked along were several feet smaller, their twig like trunks showing a lean to fight for the sunlight. The greenery was dense on the floor, small bushes and weeds came up to just below my knee cap, brushing it as a I walked deeper and deeper into the forest all because of a wolfs cry. I wouldn’t have dared to come in here alone, but the cry that was convincing to be of that in pain led me deeper and deeper.

The sun began to evaporate as I walked further, a cool wind spread across the pores on my skin making me shiver slightly. But I kept walking.

The cry sounded again, piercing my ears like a knife scratching a china plate making me that more determined.

A menacing growl snarled behind me and I froze in fear. I could hear teeth snapping behind me, the crunches a sign that I was easy prey. My feet manoeuvred my body in a circular motion, my head remained frozen. Heavy breaths came from the monster; I could feel the heat coming off the whirl of wind deliberately pushed in my direction. My head slowly rose to see a massive dog, it’s muzzle baring teeth, saliva dripping to the floor in front of me and the drip of it making sharp rasps on the leaves.

“Good doggy,” I stalled.

The dog took one step forward and I took one step back. It rose it’s eyebrows as if this were its most exciting game of target yet. Again as if to taunt me, it took one step forward. This was the best time that I decided to make a break for it.

I ran as fast as what my legs decided that they would take me. The wind was ripping through my hair, my hands brushing on the bushes and leaves that I was treading on. I looked behind me and the dog was no longer in sight. I smiled relived that I had out run such a vile creature. I banged into something big and my body went flying. Somehow the dog had cut in front of me and made me look like a fool for thinking I had survived.

It bared its teeth as if it were smiling that I had just fallen into its lap. It took a step forward and snapped its teeth begging me to make a run for it again. I pushed my body backwards and took its challenge. I rose to my feet and pushed off again. I ran back the way I had came until I slipped on a hidden tree root embedded in the thickness on the forest floor. I braced myself for the fall putting my hands out to break the force, my knees bent so I could keep running. My body landed with a thump and I heard teeth snapping at my neck. The dog was standing over me and I flipped my body over to face it. I gave it my most innocent look, a stare it would have to live for forever if it killed me now. I put my arm across my face, closed my eyes and hoped for the best.

“Get away from her!” I heard a guy call.

Teeth sunk into my wrist and I screamed with agony. I opened my eyes and saw my crimson drop from my wrist and the leaf litter around me flush in such a rush in the same instant. A male all dressed in black crutched in front of me, his legs apart, and his right hand in front of him on the floor, ready in a defensive position. His legs swayed from side to side, he was ready to pounce. He balled his left hand into a fist and left it hanging loosely close to his leg as if he were a fighter giving into his instincts. I watched as I restrained myself from screaming from the fire that pulsed from the bite mark, I was utterly curious to see who would make the first move.

The guy in black made the first move, darting for the dog. The dog didn’t account for his first move and the guy wrapped his arms around its torso, squeezing it until I heard a sickening crunch. The dog yelped in pain and he dropped it. He punched the dog square in the jaw while it withered in pain, its legs flapping up in the air and the dog’s life was now outnumbered. I closed my eyes as I heard the guy say to the dog, “I told you not to touch her,”

With one yelp of a distressed call, I opened my eyes just in time to watch the guy snap the dog’s neck. I shrieked in seeing such a horrendous thing happen to an animal, I started to cry in pain and shock.

“Hey,” The guy called turning around.

His eyes were a brilliant bloodshot red, the veins from his neck stood out and his two pearly white fangs sank back to his gums.

“It’s ok dear, I’m not going to hurt you. I’m terribly sorry you had to see that for yourself at such a young age.” He apologised.

I screamed and held my wrist that was still dripping blood from when the savage beast bit me. The guy stretched an ivory long hand towards my wrist and he looked at it and then looked me into the eyes.

“What’s your name?’ He asked me.

He touched my hand and I coiled at his touch.

“Alex,” I replied.

“Alex, I’m not going to hurt you but I can make the pain go away,”

He reached for my hand and this time I let him have it. His hands were cold at the touch but to me it was very soothing against the fire that was burning. He bought his lips down to my wrist and pressed his lips to the crimson. I felt him suck at the wound and the fire finally felt like a dull winter’s day. He pulled his head up and smiled at me. His eyes went from a brilliant red to a pulsing purple.

“I think you’ve had enough trouble for one day.” He smiled at me picking me up.

I closed my eyes and relaxed into his safe arms.