Captive

<pre>Nathaniel carried me to an underground apartment where he told me the supernatural wouldn't be able to hear or spy on us. Again I had no idea what he was saying to me. He carried me to a bedroom where he threw a shirt, jacket and track suit pants at me to get out of my horrid scrubs. He gave me some space and I put on his clothing, having trouble manoeuvring with a dead leg. I called out to him and he carried me to a couch right in front of a fireplace that was toasty warm and comforting to watch. I curled my body up into a ball, looking mesmerised at the flames licking up the sides of the wall it was confined in. The crackle of the wood burning was tranquillising in that I was lost for words. Nathaniel came and sat beside me and he pulled my legs onto his legs, rubbing them gently as if he were trying to comfort me. He smiled softly at me, making me sink deeper into his couch.

"Ok, twenty questions, I get twenty and you get twenty." Nathaniel compromised.

"Ok. What about one each till we're both out of questions?" I raised my eyebrows.

He winked symbolising that he agreed. I took in a deep breath, dragging in oxygen like I was drowning. Nathaniel sat completely still, I was wondering if he was still listening.

"So who's going first?" I asked him.

"Well during my time, we always let the ladies go first, so that would be you my dear," he smiled.

I nodded and tried to scrabble my thoughts together. I breathed again and asked the obvious.

"What are you?"

Nathaniel looked at the fire and back at me.

"I will answer that but can I hear your theories first?" He asked back.

I shook my head too afraid to answer his question.

"Please?" He smiled those pearly white teeth.

"Fine!" I hissed.

I pushed my body up more since I got comfortable and started to slink down. He sat there waiting for my answer. I took a deep breath in, sucking in the oxygen like it was the last breath that I was going to take ever.

"I figured that because your name is associated with Angels, your an angel of some sort. I haven't figured that out yet," I told him.

"What type of angel?" He asked.

"No! I ask a question. That's not fair!"

He raised his eyebrows and I asked him again what he is.

"I will tell you," he paused, he looked like he was counting on my reaction.

"And?" I questioned.

"Two questions! My turn,"

I screwed my face up at him and smashed my palm against the edge of the couch.

"You were counting on that weren't you?" I asked him.

"What type of angel?" He asked again.

"I don't know. A good one?" I told him shrugging.

He laughed a sweet laugh that had me instantly hypnotised. I couldn't believe that I just admitted that to him.

"Vampire," he told me.

"What?"

"Vam-pi-re," he sounded out the syllables.

I shook my head not believing him. Nathaniel looked to the ceiling and sprung to the roof from a standing position, he latched onto it and crawled around the roof like a spider. He jumped back down and I lost where he went. I felt arms wrap around me and I felt the air in the room change from warm to cold. I opened my eyes and we were at least 20m up in the air, him holding me, my feet dangling from a tree branch.

"What?" I asked completely out of breath.

"Welcome to your Guardian Angel's World," he whispered only to me in my ear.

This was unbelievable. From the tree I could see the town, the sun just dipping below the tallest building in town. I looked to Nathaniel whose lips were pursed, eyes hard on me, looking amused.

"Nathaniel! They're going to hunt you down, you broke me out of a mental ward!" I worried.

He laughed, the echo bouncing off the branches.

"I had Felix compel them to forget about you. The whole towns believes your fine and normal." He told me.

"Oh. What about my parents?"

"I had the call directed to my phone, your parents think your fine."

I nodded my head and I felt my stomach drop. With a gentle thud we were on the ground. Nathaniel took my hand and pulled me lightly forward. I couldn't walk because of the pain.

"Stop!" I hissed through my teeth.

"Oh right, your mental spin injury." Nathaniel replied unphased.

He picked me up and carried me down to his undiscovered secret lair. He opened the door and in a blink of an eye I was on the couch. Nathaniel was weighing up what I was going to say to him next. Curiosity burned behind his violet eyes, his eye lashes fluttering, gaging my reaction. I tried to get my thoughts together. Building the puzzle of how I would roll on my now endless questions for him. Being a vampire, I had to ask him this.

"Why do I never see you drink human blood?" I asked him.

He threw his head back and laughed a bellowing laugh. I went to say something then closed my mouth realising that he probably thinks that I'm pathetic.

"I don't drink human blood. Well I do but not that often. Well, not even that often. You could say that I'm a vampire with an eating disorder." He half laughed.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He looked at me, sucked in a breath through his nose and pulled me closer to him.

"I don't kill because its there. It's only when I feel it's necessary. After I saw you so helpless against a vile beast, I haven't tasted human blood since. You turned on my mortal side."

I nodded and curled up against him. I felt relief flow over my body, washing from my head to toes like a river running free. He ran his iced hand over my body, exploring my side.

"Do you love me?" I blurted out.

I held my breath not wanting to hear the answer. I heard Nathaniel sigh and look down at me.

"I'm very protective of you. I'm afraid it has come to that though. I've thought about living a life with you, being there for you when something went wrong. Being 'Your Guardian Angel'." He smiled softly towards me.

I went back to breathing normally and curled up more against Nathaniel. I felt his lips fall to head, his cool breath sending goosebumps down my spine, his laugh getting caught in his throat.

"I love you," I said watching the flames.

"I love you too." </pre>