Five

The next day, we were issued our lockers. I walked down the long hallway and found my locker, which happened to be a few lockers down from Jeremy. He glanced over at me and began to stare. I soon began to feel uncomfortable under his gaze, but remained quiet. I occasionally glanced at the sheet of paper that had my locker combination. After a few times of trying out my locker and making sure it opened, I began walking down the hall again. I brushed past Jeremy and began to return to my homeroom. I couldn't help, but feel like I was being followed. I mean, it was crowded hallway, but I felt as though someone was following me just because they wanted to, not because they had to in order to get to class. Just as I was about to enter the classroom that belonged to Mr. Davis, I felt my arm being tugged. I was pulled into a secluded area. I looked up at the chocolate skinned, 5'11 cutie that stood before me. "What do you want, Jeremy?" I inquired. "I want you to give me a chance, Safaree," he spoke. "Why do you want me so bad?" I asked. "Because..." he mumbled and looked down. "I-I think you're pretty and smart and nice," he looked down, too shy to look at me directly. Heat rose to my cheeks, and I could feel them turning red. I looked down, my hands on my cheeks to conceal the rosy red. "Jeremy," I whined, feeling awful for being so mean yesterday... He looked at me, his eyes boring into mine. "You think all those things about me?" I asked. He nodded with a sly smile. My cheeks only got hotter. "I just want to cut the bullshit with you... I want to start over with you and show you who I really am, but only if you do the same," he mumbled. "I don't know if I can do that, Jeremy," I shook my head. "Why not?" his eyebrows furrowed. "You have a big mouth, if you didn't know," I replied. "That's a front," he spoke. "You're obnoxious. You and your friends," I responded. "That's part of my front," he replied. "You act like you don't have any sense," I stated. "That's also apart of my front," he smirked. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever," I scoffed. 

"I don't know why you're putting up a front though... You act like you're not capable of giving your heart to somebody," he spoke. "I am," I crossed my arms. "Then act like it!" he shouted. I looked down... "You didn't have to yell at me like that," I mumbled. He sighed. "I-I'm sorry, S-Safaree... I'm actually putting an effort into this... If you knew me-- really knew me--, you'd know that I don't "put in an effort" as often as I need to. But, for you... I'll give it all I got," he sincerely spoke. This time, he didn't refrain from eye contact... "I just don't want to get hurt, Jeremy," I shook my head. "I can't help if you do, but... just know that, I'll try not to be the reason why you get hurt..." he spoke. I looked down... "How does Saturday sound?" he inquired. I smiled slightly at him before looking down again. "Good," I answered. I peeked up at him to see a huge smile take up his face. "I-I'll see you l-later then, Safaree," he smiled. "Bye," I smiled slightly.  He began walking away, but tripped a bit in the process. He looked back at me and smiled bashfully as I giggled. "I meant to do that. That's part of my front!" he called jokingly. "Whatever, Jeremy!" I called back with a smile... 

Later in the day, during lunch, I sat at a table alone and began eating my lunch. Next thing I know, Jeremy's crew just fills the seats at the table, as if I gave them permission to sit there. "What's up, Safaree?" One of them bit his lip at me. I rolled my eyes and looked down at my food. "I hear you and Jeremy are gonna fuck on Saturday. Is it true?" he deviously smiled. "Hell nah! Ya'll have set days on when to fuck?" another began laughing. "We're not doing that. Thank you very much," I spoke after cringing at him. I soon see Jeremy step into the cafeteria and approach the table, looking a bit irritated. "Yo, what are ya'll doing?" he asked his friends. "We're just talking to Safaree," one of them smiled. Jeremy cringed at his friend before speaking. "Who said you could talk to her?" he inquired. "We can talk to her if we want to," the guy stood up and faced him. "Not if she's my girl!" Jeremy shouted. "Yo, I suggest you back the fuck up," his friend grew angry. "Nigga, make me," Jeremy spoke. "What's up then?" the boy pulled up his sagging cargo shorts while Jeremy's jaw clenched. All the other guys slowly stood, but before they could even begin to pacify the situation, the first punch was thrown. My eyes widened as a crowd formed around the boys. Some pulled out phones and recorded the fight while others encouraged it.