Four

That next Monday marked the first day of school. As soon as I walked into the familiar three story building that was my high school, I spotted a familiar group of boys. The group that belonged to Jeremy-- a boy that clearly likes me and mouths off to his friends about any and everything, but doesn't say more than two words to me when I'm in his presence-- found me just as soon as I spotted them. "Great. I have to deal with these idiots again," I mumbled, trying to find a way that would allow me to avoid the rude, obnoxious boys... There was so no clear way to go without passing the gang of boys. I sighed before continuing to walk. "Yo, Safaree! You ain't gon' holla at your man?" one of them called to me. I flipped my middle finger up at him, continuing my walk as I did so. "Oooh!" The group howled, beginning to clown the guy I just silently disrespected. I rolled my eyes and shook my head while approaching a bulletin board that had a variety of lists on them. I searched for my homeroom class, and after several moments, I found my name a few names before Jeremy's. "Great," I mumbled. I made my way toward the classroom that my homeroom was based in, taking my precious time since tardies don't count against you during the first week of school. As soon as I stepped into the room, I saw Jeremy. He looked nice... I mean, Jeremy's attractive-- very attractive-- but, the people he hangs around and the image he displays to the world makes him look like a hoodlum, and I'm not the one for that rowdy crowd. His eyes soon averted towards me before he smiled slightly. I looked down and brushed past him to take a seat at a desk. I faced forward and twiddled my fingers. I soon felt a presence coming closer towards me before it took it's place in the desk next to me. I looked out of the corner of my eye to see a figure that looked like Jeremy. I quickly looked away, my cheeks heating slightly. I felt his eyes going back and forth between me and down at the floor. I soon looked over at him slowly, our eyes making eye contact for a few seconds. He smiled, exposing a perfect set of teeth. "Hi," he greeted. "Hi," I replied, smiling the slightest bit. He stared at me for a little longer before facing forward and looking down as if he were blushing... I faced forward in my seat as a few more students piled into the room. After a few moments, Jeremy spoke again. "Are you doing okay?" he inquired. 

Is Jeremy Vincent really attempting to have a conversation with me? Wow, this is a first. I've known about this guy since my sophomore year, the same year his liking towards me began. He talks all big around his friends. "Excuse me! You lookin' real good today, Safaree! You might have to watch out before I have to snatch you up and let all these little boys know you're mine, Baby girl!" But, when I'm in his presence, alone, he looks at me for a while and never looks at me again unless my face is turned his direction for some reason. He's quiet when he's not around those idiots that are his friends, but as soon as they're around, he's licking his lips at me and motioning me to come toward him and his friends, as if he going to grope me as soon as I get close enough. 

Too lost in my thoughts, it took a while for me to answer his question. "What'd you say?" I inquired, forgetting the question. "Are you doing okay?" he repeated. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine," I nodded. "I heard you were in the hospital and I just w-wanted you know that I'm glad you're okay," he spoke. "Thanks," I smiled slightly. I faced forward again, feeling his eyes scan me from head to toe. "You look pretty today," his voice chimed through the silence that floated between us. "Thanks," I smiled slightly once again. I turned my body sideways in the desk, facing him completely, only to look down at my combat boots. My outfit of the day was something simple: A white blouse. Black skirt. Grey knee socks along with a grey cardigan. And, of course, my black combat boots. I, unfortunately, couldn't find my knitted beanie worth anything, this morning! I guess it'll turn up later... I looked up to see Jeremy's brown eyes gazing into mine. "You really like to stare, don't you?" I smirked. He chuckled slightly. "I guess you could say that," he smiled. I smiled and shook my head while facing forward in my seat again. "Alright, Young People... My name is Mr. Davis, just so you all know... Now, listen for your name and come and get your schedules. You all will return here tomorrow morning to pay for your lockers. It's $4, so don't forget your money tomorrow, alright?" the male teacher spoke. "Kaylin Boston," he spoke, beginning to call the names.