Chapter 21

Mikey pov

Why am I even here? One second I'm a third wheel and the next I'm at a cafe with my best friend who I've basically shut out for four months. I'm honestly surprised he's not mad or bombarding me with questions. Not that I'd answer them. I leaned back in my seat and looked out the large awning window. I hate this because everybody can just look at you while you're trying to eat your fucking lunch. Pete's been trying to catch me up on everything I've missed and I just accidentally missed like a third of the conversation.

"Mikey are you even listening to me?" I snapped my head around to see his dramatized Disappointment.

"Yeah I'm listening." That was obviously a bullshit lie but he didn't push any further and continued to talk. I don't mind. It's always been like that. In fact, I'm glad it hasn't changed too much.

"Okay so me and the guys have been thinking and we mutually decided to take a break as a band."

"Really?" Just a year ago they were ecstatic to play together and they'd play a show in Pete's garage every Friday night. Everybody showed up and it actually was kinda awesome. I'm not one for crowds but I loved those shows. Pete's neighbors would get so pissed and his foster parents at the time didn't even care. Those folks were always traveling to different countries and left Pete with the house.

"Andy is getting ready for college and Patrick's hormonal because his girlfriend broke up with him last week. We all saw that coming." Pete laughed a little at the last part. I swear he can be so petty sometimes. I learned a long time ago that he's not Pete without his unfiltered sense of humor.

"Andy shouldn't be leaving till August. It's November and you can't seriously be taking a break because Patrick's girl issues. Wait I thought you guys were a thing?" I asked. I remember it vividly, Pete had a crazy crush and we'd all make fun of him for it and how oblivious Patrick was. Pete laughed awkwardly and shook his head.

"Lasted about a month and a half. He may be one of my best friends but that kid is like dating a stuffed animal. He's cute but It's all on the surface." He took a sip of his iced tea and and stirred the ice around with his straw. "The band hasn't been the same without you, Man." I looked back up at him and he just smiled faintly.

"I'm not even in the band." I argued and was surprised how hard I started laughing.

"No but you were like our number one groupie! Well, besides that one kid with the big forehead. Anyway, the thing is that Patrick and I haven't been talking and Andy and Joe have been so busy with school and you... you just disappeared." His smile flattened a little and he cleared his throat.
I suddenly felt incredibly guilty and felt my eyes drift to silently watch the condensation on my glass of water fall and pool around the bottom of the glass.

"I'm sorry." I spoke. I don't know what else to say.

"Don't worry about. Just expect me to bother you basically every day from now on." He teased.

"Shut up." I chucked, rolling my eyes. Even though he let it go, on the inside he's upset. I can tell because of how he reacted just now.

Pete waved over the waitress for the check and I pulled out my wallet to pay for my drink. "I've got it." He shrugged before throwing a $5 bill in the check book and standing up.

I let out a laugh, "Is this suddenly a date?" I smirked, completely joking but I was a little shook when thought I saw Pete blushing from the corner of my eye.