Chapter 16

Frank pov

Now I was alone. No one left to distract me from thinking about how there is something wrong with Gerard and I. I want to deny it, but I just can't.

Mikey had disappeared to his room, probably going to think about everything we had discussed moments ago. I don't like how Gerard doesn't talk to him about their dad. I know it's difficult for both of them, but it's something that needs to be done. I know nothing I say will convince Gerard to give in and bring up their dad, but I'll try.

I wanted to talk about our communication problems, but I feel like their dad is a priority that needs to be brought up between them first.

I entered the kitchen feeling suddenly drained of energy and decided to distract myself with coffee. Before I can make another move, I hear someone arrive outside the house. Almost as if a reflex, my head snapped up toward the door. I was expecting Gerard to enter, but instead was met with firm knocks on the door. Gerard wouldn't knock on the door to his own house. He has keys.

I looked through the peephole to see a man who looked oddly familiar, but I couldn't seem to place his face. He was with another person who I recognized right away. I opened the door and was met with two his friendly smiles.

"Officer Dun?" I thought aloud. He looked different. Perhaps it's the fact that his hair was dyed blue, which was odd for an officer around here, or law enforcement in general. He wore a bright red and white stripped shirt with a leather jacket.

"Mr. Iero. It's been awhile. How have you been?"

"Uh, fine. Is everything okay?"

I assessed the man beside him trying to figure out where I knew him from before letting him in. He was older, maybe 57. His hair was neatly combed with strands of dead white hair mixed with grey. He was overweight, but maybe it was the layers of clothes that made up his suit giving off an illusion. He had circular glasses that rested on the tip of his nose and I watched him make a sudden hand gesture to push them back up the bridge of his nose.

Considering the last time this officer was on my doorstep, he didn't bring good news I felt a little perturbed.

Seeing my discomfort, Dun stepped forward. "It's okay. We just want to talk to  Mrs. Way." His voice had no sign of bearing bad news, so I relaxed a little.

"Why do you need to speak with her?"

"I-We were wondering if She was home by any chance?" The other guy piped in, avoiding my question. After he spoke I observed how nervous he seemed. Kinda unprofessional for his line of work, but who am I to judge? Both of his hands held onto the handle of a small black briefcase that rested against his knees.

"I'm sorry, but may I know who's asking?" I inquire. Itching to know who this man was exactly.

"Oh! I'm sorry. You probably don't remember me. I'm Jeremy Davis. I represented Brian Hood in trial a few months ago." He held out his right hand for me to shake and I hesitantly returned the gesture.

I knew exactly who he was now. I remember he was a very good lawyer, but there wasn't anything you could do to keep the evidence from finding the truth. Brian tried to kill me, but instead hurt Ray; ultimately killing him. At the time of the first trial Ray wasn't dead, so that's why we're coming back together for this trial. Brian is a murderer.