Chapter 46

'Now I'm a warrior, now I've got thicker skin.'

Demi Lovato – Warrior

S4 E17 – Because the Night

Damon called me to take me to New York with Elena. Imagine being stuck in a car with both of them for ages. If I cared, I'd be annoyed, but I don't, so.

"You dragged us all the way to New York because you were feeling nostalgic?" I question.

"No, I dragged you to New York because in a matter of three days, Elena managed to piss off everyone in Mystic Falls. A little more difficult to do in a city of millions."

"I was hungry." Elena mutters.

"You were both reckless." Damon says.

"Emotionless. There's a difference." I correct with a smirk.

"Look, all that matters is that when I lived here, I fed like crazy and had a blast and went undetected for years." Damon smirks in reminiscence.

"So...we're just here to have fun?" Elena stops walking, forcing Damon and I to stop and face her. "What's the catch?"

"There's no catch. Look, you wanted out, I got you out. You wanted to feed, I brought you to a city-sized, all-you-can-eat buffet. That's the beauty of New York-- there's so much life that a little death goes unnoticed. Come on, let's go get some lunch."

Elena had her hair streaked red while I had mine temporarily dip dyed blue.

"You got Lexied?" Elena asks as Damon tells us about his time at New York. Before he can answer, Rebekah swoops in and slams Damon's head down onto the table we're at.

"Following a lead without me? Poor form, Damon." She snarls. "I have to say I'm a little hurt, Damon." She releases his head. "I thought we made a good team. Not without its fireworks, but what classic pairing isn't?"

"Wait. What the hell are you talking about?" Elena asks.

"Damon's following a lead to the cure. I'm following him. Notice your name never came up." Rebekah mutters.

"You're doing what?"

"How does it feel to be wrong all the time? I brought Elena here to feed. I mean, Mystic Falls isn't exactly Vamp Xanadu right now."

"Right. So you drove 7 hours to New York City?" Rebekah questions incredulously.

"Yes, and as I was explaining to Elena and Scarlet, before we were so rudely interrupted, that my history in this city has a particular resonance to her current situation. When I had my humanity off."

Lexi and Damon are talking just outside the club in an alleyway.

"That explains it. Your switch is flipped." Lexi says.

"Ugh. Would you mind? I can't even hear my prey over your constant babbling."

"You're not even covering your tracks. We heard about you back in Mystic Falls."

"So Stefan sent you? Hmm. I thought we were on the 'off' part of our endless on-again, off-again, eternity-of-misery cycle."

"Lucky for you he cared just enough to send me. So, why'd you flip it? What traumatic event was too much for Damon Salvatore to handle?"

"'Leave It To Beaver.' The fifties bored me." Damon turns and starts to walk away but Lexi grabs him.

"Well, it's the seventies now, and keeping it off is gonna get you caught and killed."

"I'll take my chances."

"I won't. I promised Stefan that I would—"

"Look. You and Stefan have a thing. I get it. He falls off the wagon, you pick him up. He gets redeemed, you get your Florence Nightingale jollies. Well, I'm not him, and I don't want or need you." Damon snarls.

"Too bad, because you got me."

"Well, she sounds dreadful." Rebekah mutters.

"She had a Mother Teresa complex." Damon replies.

"So let me guess. After many dark nights with Lexi, she convinced you to turn your emotions back on, and that's exactly what you plan to do with me. Hmm." Elena says.

"You read the last page of the book first, too? I'm gonna go get a drink. Many drinks." Damon walks off.

"So you really buy all this?" Rebekah asks when Damon's out of earshot.

"No, I can read his thoughts easy." I tell her.

"Not one bit. I know he's after the cure. I'm not stupid." Elena mutters.

"Well, let's not say things we don't mean." Rebekah retorts.

"Damon's like a dog with a bone. Stefan, too. They won't give up until they find the cure and then make me take it. So I guess I'm gonna have to find it first."

"You're playing him." The blonde realises.

"No. He's playing us. We're just returning the favour." I correct.