18

Waiting until the guards left her side, Touka sneaked out of her room and brought the doctor down to the dungeon. Upon reaching, the guard positioned to take care of the dungeon stood up and blocked their way. "Princess, you are not supposed to be here."

Touka fished her bag and placed some gold coins on the guard's hand. "Would this be enough?"

He stared at the coins in his hands and led them to their newest prisoner.

Kaneki heard steps approaching and turned, eyes widening as he saw Touka.

"What are you doing here? You'll get caught!" He exclaimed as she unlocked the door with a key, entering with the doctor.

"I promised to get you medicine didn't I?" She turned to the doctor. "Please take care of him."

Touka helped Kaneki to remove his shirt and he laid on his chest on the bed. She then settled on a stool in front of him, holding his hand. "There's nothing to worry about."

The doctor examined his wound and shook his head. There was a long line across his back, resembling the wooden stick which was used to hit him. Blood oozed out of the wound and even some white stuff was forming. It was very serious. If he loses anymore blood, he might die.

He then took out his medical box and begun tending to the wound. He poured some kind of alcohol on his back and Kaneki let out a loud shriek, squeezing his pillow.

He felt as though his back was on fire. It burned. He grabbed his pillow harder and bit onto it, muffling his yells.

It was pure agony, watching him yell in pain each time the alcohol was poured on his wound. Touka's heart ached; though she couldn't help lessen the pain, the least she could do was stay by his side and encourage him. "Ken, just bear with it a little more, okay?"

He nodded and then screwed his eyes shut again when the doctor poured more alcohol.

After all was done, he bandaged Kaneki up and Touka paid him more than he usually charged, a way of keeping this a secret.

She looked back at her boyfriend and her eyes stung. His body was bathed in sweat and pain etched on his face.

He heard sobbing sounds and opened his eyes to see her crying, slowly getting up, trying not to aggravate his wound. Cupping her cheeks, he looked into her eyes. "Don't cry. I don't like seeing you cry, Touka."

She shook her head. "But.."

Kaneki moved in to press his lips to hers. She closed her eyes, savoring the feeling of his lips on hers.

They separated and he used his thumbs to wipe her tears, smiling. "There. You look prettier when you don't cry."

Touka laughed a little, making his smile grow wider.

They stayed together in bed for as long as they could until she had to leave.

"I'll come back again. I'll talk to my father about releasing you."

He nodded and smiled, waving to her. After she left, his smile turned into a frown and he looked down. There's no way they'll release me...