Different

"I'm sorry I'm late Professor Stein!" I huffed, coming to a stop at his desk. He nodded. I headed up to my seat.

Soul was sitting with Tsubaki. I steamed inwardly and went to sit with Kid. I could feel his glare on my back every time I laughed at something he said. Liz and Patty - the real friends - studiously ignored his dirty looks.

At lunch Soul went off with Blackstar and Tsubaki, so I went with Kid and the sisters.

...Tsubaki was gorgeous, I could understand if Soul liked her. Yep. That's okay. I don't care.

"So, Maka, how're you and Soul?" Liz asked, winking. "We're not a thing." I muttered. Liz shook her head, disappointed. She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by Tsubaki.

"Hey, Maka? something's wrong with Soul." She fidgeted, mouth twitching with a smile. I nodded, getting up to move past her.

"Hey. Are you okay?" I asked. He stood up to stare. Personally, I found it easier to do these things in the ass-in-chair position.

"Nope."

"What's wrong?" He crossed his arms, hips tilted with sass. "Do you know how annoyed I get when I see you with Kid?" he whined. I rolled my eyes. "We're just friends! Besides, it's not like we're dating. I mean, you like Tsubaki, right?" I protested. He groaned.

"For a bookworm, you're definitely dense." He stated. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Besides, what if Kid took you away from me?" he asked. I shrugged. "We're just friends. I'm into, yknow, someone else." I said, and immediately wanted to throw myself off of a building. What was I thinking?

His lips touched mine gently, settling against mine with chapped warmth, and any thoughts in my head flew out of the window. Air touched my lips too soon, and I settled for staring as he moved away. "Are you jealous? 'Cause you shouldn't be."

I shrugged, attempting to recover my lost dignity. Of course, we know how that worked out.

"So, Maka, are you jealous of Tsubaki?" He asked, weeks later. A snort and a shove were his only clue.