I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath and for a moment letting memories wash over me. My dad had been the force behind my surfing, the one who had driven the long hours, endured the sunburn, celebrated the wins and comforted the losses. My chest throbbed as I opened my eyes to look at the tan board with intricate red designs.

I took a deep breath, reaching up and knocking on the board twice. "This one's for you, dad."

Abbi knocked the board after me. "They all are."

A rush of comfort spread over me and I turned, offering a smile at Braxton. "Are you coming?"

"I can't," Braxton set his magazine down, climbing to his feet. "Someone has to stay here and run this place. But trust me, the TV is already programmed to show it. I won't miss a second."

I smiled, stepped forward and wrapping my arms around him in a hug. "Thanks, B."

"No problem, kiddo," Braxton ruffled my hair, stepping around and hugging Abbi. "You two are going to kill it."

"Let's hope so," I said, tossing the keys to Abbi. "Your turn to drive."

Braxton made a face. "You're letting her drive your car?"

Abbi grinned, her cheeks going red. "I'm a good driver, jerk."

"I distinctly remember driving with you, and you almost got us killed because you were distracted by a squirrel."

"Pretty sure that wasn't what she was distracted by," I said with a knowing look. Abbi punched my shoulder and I laughed.

"See you later, B," I called as Abbi practically dragged me out the door. I jumped into the car and Abbi pulled out of the lot, talking non-stop about how she "didn't even like Braxton" and how I'm "an annoying asshole." I tuned her out, watching the waves as we cruised past the beach.

Finals were getting closer by the minute.

Abbi slowed to a stop and I glanced up, surprised we were already at our next destination. We hopped out of the car and I grabbed the faded basketball from the backseat, dribbling it to the outdoor court. The pavement was cracked with grass poking through, and the lines were faded enough that it was almost impossible to see them. The hoop itself had an old wooden backboard and a rusty chain net, but this was the place we had come since we were little.

I tossed Abbi the basketball with a grin. "You first."

She cocked her head, quirking an eyebrow in my direction. "You sure about that one, Fish?"

"Let's see what you've got."

She grinned, dropping back and throwing up a perfect three. I let out a sigh as she passed the ball to me, giving her a look. "You always do that."

"You always let me go first."

I shook my head, stepping to where she had shot from and tossing the ball up. The ball was slightly left and bounced harmlessly off the rim.

"H."

"Shut up."

We continued playing HORSE for about half an hour, Abbi winning per usual. By the end of it, I was feeling warm and relaxed, ready to head to the beach. Abbi tossed the ball in the backseat and I swiped the keys out of her fingers, jumping in the drivers' seat and driving to the beach.