Prologue

People never see the bruises, scars, and scrapes, but they don't know about the tears that slide down my face at night.

My name is Elizabeth Myers, but most people cal me Liz. I am just a Plain Jane. My story isn't so different from half the girls in America, if you call having an abusive dad, a dead mom, and boyfriend problems typical, then yeah, I'm pretty average. I'm 17, almost 18, and I'm just waiting so I could finally leave my hell hole of a house.

I never asked for my dad to be like this, who would? It all happened after he came back from the war. It was just like his mind was somewhere else. He became scary. I remember being so scared as a child. That I was so afraid that if I even whistled in the house, he would put another gun to his head or another wall would be punched in.

It didn't take long for doctors to diagnose him with PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Unfortunately, it has become an excuse for him. That it's not him when he beats me half to death or when he takes everything I have and crushes it to pieces. That it's the soldier in Afghanistan that's still trapped inside of him.

For a 17 year old, I had a lot on my plate, including college applications and trying to graduate high school with a passing grade average. School was somewhat of a "safe haven" for me. It took me away from my dad and my mother whom I could barely remember. It was literally all I had.

I don't have many friends, because I kind of scare everybody off. My shell has become hard and I'm not as soft as the other girls at school. They all think I'm this hardcore badass. I DON'T EVEN HAVE A MOTORCYCLE FOR GOD'S SAKE! I wear black, because it's my favorite color, although I'm defintely not blasting pop tunes everywhere I go. So, I guess I'm not your everyday suburban girl.

When the girls stopped associating with me, so did the guys. I was always left by myself. Even a loner at times. The only thing good about having no friends, was the fact that I kept up my average grades. Now I wasn't a supernatural genius or anything, just an average student.

I was a regular girl with a abusive dad, okay grades, and no friends. Senior year for me is just going to be another challenge that I will have to face head on.

Check out my other stories Rich Girl In Cowboy Boots and Cross Country!!!!