Chapter 27

Will this pain ever leave my heart?

I came home and slept straight away to try and make myself feel a little bit better. But that seemed to fail.

I sighed then I heard my phone ring. It was Sarah.

I was contemplating whether or not I should answer because I know what she wants to talk about.

No, I can't ignore her. I need someone to talk to.

"Hello," I said, weakly.

"Hey, Leah. I was wondering if you fancied going out for a coffee? I wanna see you and make sure you're okay?" She said.

I smiled and felt my heart warm immediately. I couldn't say no to my best friend.

"Of course," I said. My voice broke a little as I was starting to feel tears threatening to spill.

"I'll see you in half in hour?" She asked.

"See you then," I said then hung up.

I really need this. I can't sit about and make myself feel worse.

I fixed my make up and hair as I looked like I'd just been dragged through a hedge.

I left my parents a note then headed for my car.

*

"Talk to me," Sarah said.

"I don't know how or where to start," I said honestly.

"Well I certainly do! I'm gonna kick his ass!" She said a bit too loudly.

I couldn't help but giggle.

"Keep your voice down," I laughed.

"Really though, how do you really feel?" She asked sincerely.

I paused a while before I answered.

"I feel empty," was all I managed to say. I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"I could have prevented this," I managed to say.

"How?" Sarah asked.

"I told him I didn't love him anymore, remember? I was so stupid. I know I didn't really mean that. I was just so scared," I covered my face with my hands to try and stop the tears getting worse.

Sarah came over and hugged me for comfort.

"Fuck I need to stop crying," I groaned.

"It's okay to cry you know. Just get all of the emotions out," she said soothingly.

"I'm quite curious to know how he managed to find someone so quickly after you and then marry her," Sarah said looking confused.

"So what are you saying?" I asked.

"Well we need proof that she exists, you know, like wedding day photos, things like that," she said.

"Wait, so what you're saying is, you think his wife is made up?" I asked. She can't be serious, why would someone do that?

"Well until I actually see her then I'll believe it," she said.

I shook my head.

"Oh come on Leah! I'm trying to give you some hope!"

"By saying you think his wife doesn't exist? Sarah that's just stupid," I said sighing.

"Okay I'm sorry, but I'm still hanging on to this theory. This whole thing is just so strange," she said.

I headed home after. We continued to talk for a while and finished our coffee before parting ways.

*