Being Human

So I may or may not have worked on this for the past three days... It is the longest oneshot I have ever written. It is (unintentionally) 5,555 words long. Very, very long.

Warnings: mentions of anxiety, mentions of verbal and physical abuse, broken past, trust issues, but there is a happy ending!!!

Sorry for any grammar mistakes. I didn't reread this or edit this.

Enjoy

{Note: As mentioned before, any oneshot I write that includes any mental disorder is not meant to romanticize aforementioned mental disorder. I don't use them for attention. I use them to make my oneshots relatable to a lot of people.}

This is loosely inspired by certain scenes from I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson, which is one of my favorite books I have ever read.

The feel of warm arms surrounding her. The comfort of knowing someone lay next to her. These were all familiarities to Rydel, things she never expected to end. Until they did.

***

"Rydel, wake up." His voice, laced with safety and comfort, was what always awoke her first thing in the morning. It was what made her happiest through her long, hard days.

Some days, he didn't wake her up on time. She knew it was on purpose. He knew how stressed she was, and knew that she needed a break from it all on occasion. Though, it was sweet, in her mind. Even if she was continuing to go one step closer to losing her job; their only income.

"Hey." Her voice is raspy, having just woken up from her deep sleep. She rubs her eyes before glancing at the clock, seeing the numbers shine across the screen. 6:15 AM. He had awoken her in time for work, sadly. She had stopped setting an alarm years ago, when he had first begun waking her up in the mornings. He was her alarm, and she figured she had no need for one. She smiles sleepily at him before climbing out of bed, and beginning to get ready for work.

It all started slowly. First, he stopped making her breakfast. Claiming he didn't have the time to go for a run and make her breakfast before he left for work. Told her that she was fully capable of cooking herself breakfast. She was, though it had become a tradition that he cooked her breakfast.

He then stopped waking her up in the mornings. It all began when one morning, Rydel woke up on her own accord at noon. She wandered the house, not finding him anywhere. No note. No nothing. That night, he told her that he had to go to work extremely early, and that she would have to start setting an alarm. Even though they were dating and lived together, Rydel had no idea what his job was. All she knew was that the money he earned didn't go towards paying the bills, even though it was technically his house.

The next thing he stopped doing was coming home at night. He began coming home extremely late, sometimes well past midnight, claiming he was taking on the longer shifts. Rydel knew she shouldn't have believed him, but she was in too deep. She had to believe him. What else would she do?

Next, he started sleeping on the couch instead of in their bed. He claimed that she was a blanket hog, though he had never had this complaint about her before. It couldn't possibly be a new thing. Rydel solemnly agreed, though deep down, she knew she should have confronted him. It was an excuse, and she knew it. Though she would never say anything.

She would never get the chance to say anything. The next thing he did was leave. She awoke one morning to not find him anywhere, which was quite a normal routine. Though, this time, there was a note on the counter. This was not normal.

Dear Rydel,

I've been pondering over leaving you for a while, and I have finally made a decision. Goodbye. Over the past few weeks, I have been with my new girlfriend. Not at my work. I only work from 9AM until 6PM. During those times when I gave you excuses as to why I was out, I was either spending time with her, or she was helping me fill out paperwork so that my house would be given to you. I felt bad about kicking you. So I gave you my house as a final nice gesture. It was finalized last week. You own a house. Something you always dreamed of. Over the past few weeks, I have also been taking some of my things to our new apartment. Me and her are moving in together. I'm so happy for once. You made me happy at one point, Rydel. But at some point, I fell out of love with you. It was hard when the realization hit me. And I cannot begin to imagine how terrible you must feel right now. Though, I refuse to apologize for my behavior towards the end of our relationship. How should I be expected to apologize for finding happiness? I was finally happy. I expect you be happy for me. I sound so cocky and full of myself, but I honestly believe it is the truth. I hope you find yourself a new source of happiness, Rydel. I honestly don't believe that you were happy near the end of our relationship either. The only thing I'm going to apologize for is this; I'm sorry that you had to find all of this out through a letter.