Apocalypse Pt. 1

Warnings: blood, descriptive gory scenes???, apocalyptic

This is almost 2K words... I'm actually quite proud of myself. I also enjoyed writing this. There will be a part two to this! Enjoy. 

*Not Edited*

Rydel didn't know whether or not she should believe what she was seeing.

She had been home alone watching the news when it showed up. A notice to evacuate all of the major cities. She wasn't sure if it was a joke or if they were serious. She tried changing the channel, but there was no use. She couldn't.

This must be real. This was what she thought to herself as she climbed up from her position sat in their living room and approached the window, scared to look out of it. When she finally brought up the nerve to finally look, she was shocked by what she saw.

The first thing she noticed was the sky. It was it's normal bright blue with very few clouds. This was what she loved about the sky. The clouds. Though, unfortunately for her, living in California called for very few clouds. Colorado was definitely better. She still sometimes regretted the move, but then she always thought about Ellington. He was the only thing keeping her here.

As she looked at the rest of the world, he was still on her mind. He was still on her mind as she looked out and saw traffic all the way down their street, each car packed with suitcases and furniture.

This was real, and it took a moment for her to process it. She was only awoken from her daydream when something hit her window and broke through it, landing on top of her.

It was a person, though they didn't seem right. Their eyes glowed bright yellow, almost like a cat's when light is reflected off of them. Though, their eyes showed no emotion. They started to put their hands around her throat, though she was stronger. She kicked it off of her before realizing what it was.

This was someone infected with the disease she had seen on the news. They said you could identify them by their yellow eyes, though Rydel thought they were a science fiction tale. She didn't know whether or not to believe them at the time. Though, now she had no choice but to believe them. As she stood up and backed out of the room, it made a hissing noise, pulling itself up from the floor. Rydel was hit with a burst of grief when she saw what it was.

It was a little girl. One that she recognized. This was one of the girls she taught dance to on the weekends. Her once blue eyes now glowed yellow, and her blonde hair was matted around her head. Her clothes were slightly torn, and she had mud plastered on her face. She actually looked normal. From behind, you would've taken her as a poor little girl with tangled hair, ripped clothes, and covered in mud. The only thing off about her was her eyes. They glowed yellow, and seemed almost like an animals. This innocent girl had caught this disease. Though, Rydel's thoughts were interrupted when the girl's head had a knife sticking out of it as she crumpled to the ground, whimpering in pain.

"Rydel, why didn't you kill her?" Now it was Ellington's voice over the terrible sound of the girl whimpering on the floor, blood falling to puddles on the floor as she slowly died.

Soundlessly, she crosses the room, throwing her arms around him as she begins to sob.

"I-I didn't think they were real." This was barely understandable between her sobs as Ellington rubbed her back in an attempt to comfort her.

"They're real. You need to calm down so we can get ready to leave."

The thing was that though Rydel knew she was safer anywhere but here, she wanted to stay. Maybe they could just lock the house. Board the windows. Only come out when it's necessary. It sounded better than going outside and having a greater chance of catching the dangerous plague.