Treizecisitrei || Crossroads

"Pho?" Daniel asked.

She'd dozed off for a moment, and woken up thinking she was in her Capitol Hill apartment. The exposed brick and warmth felt like home. Though, quickly she realized it was not the case.

"No thanks," she replied.

She remembered everything. How the darkness had taken her by surprise, the blackout, and her subsequent undoing. Daniel carrying her home, and Evie soothing her until she left to go back to the office. In truth, eating was the last thing on her mind.

How embarrassing.

"You really should eat something," he said, sitting a serving tray beside her. He'd placed a bowl of soup, along with some hydrangeas in a small vase. "I promise it'll help."

It seemed rude not to oblige after he put so much effort in.

The broth was delicious, and slowly, it felt like she really was coming back to life. As she sipped, she took the time to examine Daniel's apartment. It was a massive industrial-style studio, with large black-rimmed windows, and she was laying on a very plush bed off to the side. He owned a lot of plants, but not in a cluttered way like some plant-owners she'd known.

"I do feel better." she said. Leaning back on the tufted headboard. "Now, I can just focus on being mortified."

"No need for that," he replied. "Everyone just wanted to know you are ok."

She felt thankful for them. Daniel, Evie and Bonnie. Which made it even more nauseating that she'd betrayed them. Would they even have jobs after what she'd done? Would they eventually find out? She was sure what she'd done was not altogether legal, and the possibility of going to jail was real.

The overwhelming feeling from earlier came back.

"Woah," Daniel said. "Just breathe. Look at me and breathe." he inhaled heavily and exhaled while she followed his lead. Once she relaxed a little, he began talking to her. "Besides, no one was really paying attention. Everyone was too busy trying to figure out what happened."

"Should we go back to the office?" she managed to say. She remembered how Daniel had been waiting all day to converse before the blackout. She didn't want to be trapped in a discussion with him right now.

"Definitely not," he replied. "I've been communicating with my uncle, and there isn't a whole lot we can do at this point. They sent everyone home who's not essential."

"Are you worried," she asked. She didn't really want to know, but it was the polite thing to do.

"Yes. But let's not talk about anything stressful right now. Your only job is to relax."

It was a welcome relief, and she wasn't so quick to leave anymore.

"I like your place." she said.

"Thanks," he replied. "When you work as much as I do, it helps to live near the office."

It made sense, Daniel was definitely a workaholic. She noticed his apartment had no semblance of 'a woman's touch,' which made her wonder for a moment if his infatuation with her was genuine, or because he didn't have time to be around other women.

"I have an idea," he said, interrupting her thoughts. "Why don't we get out and get some fresh air? We can explore a bit. I don't do it nearly enough."

No way, she thought, robotically holding her arm up. However, she wasn't wearing her watch. It was still at security, meaning she was free from both work and Alec. An opportunity she hadn't had in months.

"I'm not exactly dressed for exploring," she said. It was true. Her tight skirt, blouse and heels were not conducive to long walks.

"No problem." he smiled.