Doi || Wreck

Mila's mind was in overdrive. She had just been fired.

In the afternoon, she was prepping for a client when her manager sent her an urgent meeting request. When she went into her office, the human resources head was waiting with her boss. Mila sat stunned as they claimed for weeks her computer had been flagged for suspicious online activity. Despite her superb job performance, the firm would not risk security.

When she asked for more specific details they gave her none, and treated her as if she'd committed treason. It happened so fast, she was in and out within 20 minutes. They escorted her to the elevator with a box of her things after confiscating her key card. For a moment, she thought she was being Punked.

After dropping off her things at home she booked it to The Lookout, her favorite neighborhood dive bar. It was situated in a secluded section of the Capitol Hill, with one of the best views of the water.  As she sat on the patio sipping her whiskey coke she was still floored. How could this happen? What was she going to do next?

On top of it all, it was a beautiful day. She felt as if the pink, orange and blue sky were mocking her. How could she feel so miserable with beauty and happiness all around her? She really wanted to be with Evan, but he was stuck at work until late. He was doing his best to console her via text and it killed him he couldn't be there with her.

To make matter's worse, none of her friends were picking up her calls or responding to texts.

"You look like you need a shot," said a familiar voice.

She looked away from her phone to see Alec having a beer at a table nearby. She couldn't say she wasn't pleased to see him. Last time she had it was more than two months ago when he moved into the building.

"Or, six."

"Are you ok?" he asked sounding concerned.

"I honestly don't know. I've just been fired out of the blue."

He signaled to the waiter and moved to the seat next to her. "Two shots of Patron, please."

She knew she shouldn't drink them, but she needed a serious mental break. I can get tipsy without being drunk, right? She thought. Alcohol felt like the only thing strong enough to numb her pain at the moment and Alec made her nervous. Whenever they locked eyes Mila felt her stomach in knots.

Alec felt it as well, except he knew exactly what it was. Desire. He had a hard time not thinking about her lips or her curves. What he would do if he could get a few minutes with her in his bed. Mila Black drove him wild and all he wanted was to be with her. Her eyes were so sad, and his heart leapt that she was glad he was there.

Mila sent Evan a text letting him know Alec was keeping her company at the bar, though she knew he might not be pleased. It made me feel better that he knew. There was something about Alec that unnerved her on some level, but it wasn't anything she was willing to give a whole lot of thought to at the moment.

"So," she said feeling bold and warm from the shot. "Tell me about yourself, Alec."

"Well," he sighed deeply. "I'm here drinking alone because my girlfriend dumped me."

"I'm so sorry." She genuinely felt bad for him. He nodded in appreciation and took a drink from his half finished beer.

She remembered seeing him leave his place a few weeks back with a pretty darked haired girl. She had a super chic bob and looked like she had expensive style. She'd looked pleasant enough, until she saw Mila.

"Joe," she signaled to the waiter, "Could you give us two more shots of Patron?" Joe eyed them for a moment, hesitating. "Chilled please," she reiterated her request.