Cincisprezece || Vault

She entered the sliding glass doors of HSG and walked through the modern-looking lobby. Other than some sparse furniture and a large steel fireplace, two men in suits waited to greet entrants. One stood behind the massive security desk, the other between her and the elevators.

As if he knew what she was thinking that moment, a notification from Alec popped up on her watch. For a second she thought of ignoring it, she was already nervous enough, but she knew better.

If you get tripped up on a question, remember to take a moment and breathe. You've got this.

He really wanted her to have this job.

Before she could approach security, a man swept past her out of nowhere, swiping his ID, and effortlessly walking through the security gate.

"Mr. Lee," they said, almost in unison. He casually dropped his cellphone in the tray next to the security officer, and was in the elevator by the time they turned their attention back to her.

So many suits, she thought. His was navy.

HSG was different from the typically laidback office culture in Seattle. Even her stuffy old firm wasn't this formal.

For once, she was wearing a dark dress, along with a blazer. Thanks to Olga, her hair, which was almost always down, had been stretched into a painfully straight ponytail. She fit right in. To an outsider, she looked ready for business, but being inside an office triggered her memories.

She hadn't thought of Daniel & Watson in a while, as it was part of the many things she'd repressed from her old life, along with friends, joy, fun, love...

When she expressed concerns about her references during their briefing, Alec simply said he'd taken care of it. Whatever that meant.

It took her a moment to gather her wits again before speaking to the men.

"I'm here to see— "

"Mrs. Williams," one of them said, his voice hinting at something she couldn't gage.  "We'll need to see some ID please."

She handed him her temporarily returned driver's license.

Alec had given back her phone, which was dead, her driver's license and a prepaid debit card. It wasn't out of the goodness of his heart by any means; it was so she appeared normal. A normal person doing normal things. Not potentially committing corporate espionage.

He gave her ID a once-over and handed it back.

"Are you familiar with our company's policy?"

"Yes," she replied.

HSG had a policy against the use of personal technology in the workplace. The CEO was known as one of the most secretive professionals in the industry. Valuing his company's security so much, it was nicknamed, 'The Vault.'

"Great." he said unenthusiastically. He guided her to a locker room behind the desk. "Please pick a locker to store your electronics."

The previous night, Alec prepared her for this by showing her how to take her bracelet off. It was extremely satisfying to hear the clasp separate, and she felt dim-witted for not having figured it out herself. That is, until he told her the lock had to be deactivated remotely by him first. He'd also given her a red leather book for note taking.

After being run through with handheld metal detectors, she waited nervously for the elevator to arrive. She was meeting the hiring manager for her interview.

She'd been clutching the notebook so hard; it was painful to straighten her fingers in order to push the button. Everything needed to go well--no perfect. If it didn't, she couldn't imagine what fresh hell Alec would come up with. He'd spent a great deal of time preparing her interview responses, as well as getting her up-to-speed on the company.