Nouasprezece || Viper

Thump. Thump. Heavy raindrops splashed on the windshield.

It was around 7:30 a.m., and they were on route to HSG. The only sound in the back of the town car was the pitter patter of rain, and the slight movement of Mila's feet shaking in her stilettos. 

"Sorry sir." Raul said. "I didn't anticipate construction before the morning rush. This is unusual."

He was referring to the construction workers holding up signs in the street, stopping traffic.

"It's alright." Alec replied. "We're still early. I factored in plenty of time."

Mila felt like a tired ball of anxiety, and the delay to her destination didn't help.

Waking up the last few days without Henderson had been difficult. She missed the way he started at the foot of her bed at the beginning of the night. By morning, somehow, he always ended up next to her. She hadn't realized how much of a comfort he'd been-- but Alec did--which is why he'd taken him away. Only two vases left now.

After several more minutes of sitting in what Raul deemed "Unnecessary traffic," they finally cut through downtown to the more relaxed and industrial SODO district.

Alec gazed at HSG's building through the blurred car window and touched her arm.

"You know what you have to do."

"I do." she said, grabbing the door handle, forgetting herself.

Of course, Alec stopped her before she could complete the action. It was a miscalculation she wouldn't have made if she weren't so exhausted. She hadn't been sleeping well lately. His hand clamped on her wrist, forcing her back in her seat. He locked the door, leaving Raul to stand outside.

"I wasn't finished."

For the first time in hours, her nerves subsided as she focused on the pain in her arm. She was angry with herself. If she'd been more patient and less eager, she would have realized his mood.

"Don't think because you are not physically near me, I'm not in there with you." he said. "The same rules in our home apply at work."

How in the world she would manage that was beyond her.

"If you pull another stunt like you did the other day, you'll lose more than the dog." he said, finally releasing her.

"Send me an email if you need to contact me, but be careful with what you say. Always."

He unlocked the door. "Raul will be here to pick you up at 5:30 sharp."

"Henderson?" she asked, hoping for some detail or inclination. But he just stared at her coldly, and she left the vehicle.

"I'm so glad you're here!" said Evie meeting her at reception. Her energy was something to behold. Mila wasn't used to seeing such a smiling face so early in the morning.

"So, I've been taking over Rita's duties since she left, and her job is totally out of my pay grade."

She stopped. "Whoops. Don't tell anyone I said that!"

"No worries!" Mila replied, chuckling.

Was she actually laughing?

By 8:00 a.m. most of her coworkers seemed to be in as Evie introduced her to the different teams. The company had around 500 employees in the office, and each floor served a different purpose.

"Here is the cafeteria." Evie said proudly. "We have a free buffet with vegan and gluten-free options, or you can purchase one of our nicer meals. We have an amazing chef you've got to try."