Chapter 32

Tobias POV

    I open the door and set my briefcase down on the table. It's so quiet in here, I walk onto the deck and see Tris looking out at the city as usual. I kiss her on the cheek and sit next to her, "Always beautiful out isn't it." She smiles and holds my hand, "Very windy too, we should call it that. Chicago, the windy city." I chuckle and look out at the city, she does have a good point.

    "What have you done all day?" I ask, getting her out of her mini trance. She shrugs, "Oh just things here and there, nothing in particular. A regular day." I notice how tense she's getting, she shakes her head as if she is blocking a thought, "How was work, tell me about it!" I stretch, "Busy day as usual, running around and doing paperwork. We are on the verge of getting the resources the Bureau has, like the cell phones." Something about her changed, I don't know if it's for the good or bad. I clear my throat, "Can I see your cell phone?"

    She nods and walks inside, coming back out and handing me her phone. I can't deny how cool it looks. I press the button and it lights up, it's a picture of us. I don't recall the photo so it must have been when I was given the memory serum, I wonder what the Bureau actually calls it. I shake my head and swipe it open, looking at all the different things you can do with it. There's so many different apps, all for different tasks you can use it for. I touch on the one with the camera on it and I immediately see the floor. I try to remember when Tris last showed it to me, I am able to flip the camera onto Tris who is looking at me curiously.

    I take a picture and it makes a clicking noise, she looks surprised. "Tobias don't take my picture!" I laugh and pull her closer to me, "You're beautiful and I appreciate beautiful things." She smiles and kisses me quick, I look back down at the phone and press the button so the photos she took come up. I start scrolling through them, seeing pictures of us. I keep sliding and between of pictures of us and of the scenery I start seeing pictures of the Bureau. Tris isn't paying attention so I keep scrolling, seeing pictures of her 'other life'. I see the building, her work, her friends, Amar, her personal life. I feel like I'm intruding but I never know what she did all that time. She doesn't exactly look happy but at the same time she isn't miserable.

    "Tris... I actually wanted to talk to you about something?" She looks back at me confused and then looks down at the phone and tenses up. She doesn't grab it, so she must not have anything to hide, but by her getting tensed up it must be a trigger to something. I chuckle, a conversation with Johanna and I'm a pro all of a sudden. I hand her the phone back and she sets it down on the chair. I'm about to speak again when all of a sudden there is a knock on the door.

4.18.16