Birthday Boy

"Hey birthday boy, how does it feel to be 18?" Ari asked, walking into the studio.

"I'm not the birthday boy anymore Ari, my birthday was yesterday."

"I know, I know, but it feels like it's still your birthday...to me anyway. I have a lot of surprises for you today."

I smiled and put the strap of my duffel bag over my shoulder before standing up. "Ok. Then lets go."

She looked towards the wall length mirror at the front of the studio and walked up to it. "Wait."

I walked up to her and she pulled out her phone.

"Lets take some pictures!" She smiled.

"So typical, put a girl in front of a mirror and she thinks 'selfie'!"

She stuck her tongue out at me and hit my arm. "It's not a selfie if you're in the pictures!"

"Ohhh." I laughed.

She took my bag and put it on the floor next to her. I put my arms around her waist and she raised her hand, camera pointed towards the mirror and took the picture.

"Gimme." I said, asking for her phone.

She gave me a funny look and surrendered her phone to me.

"Hop on my back." I told her, squatting slightly.

"Oh god please don't drop me! I wanna live to be 19!" She squealed as she jumped onto my back. My arms came out from under her thighs and she held on tightly with her legs, careful not to choke me with her grip on my neck.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Yeah."

She turned her head to kiss my cheek and her hair created a dark waterfall that hid her face from view. I was blushing, and even in the picture you could slightly tell. No matter how long Ari and I had known eachother it didn't change my feelings towards her.

Her laugh made me smile, when we kissed I hoped and prayed her lips would never kiss anyone's but mine, and when she complemented me I'd blush for minutes at a time. Every detail about her drove me crazy, the confidence she gave off, her beautiful green eyes, and her big bright smile.

"That's it." I said.

She carefully hopped off my back and took her phone. She didn't walk away though, instead she stayed in front of me and watched me.

"Um, Ariana, are you alright?" I asked, slightly laughing towards the end.

"Yeah, yeah." She nodded. Still her eyes were on me, looking right into mine, it almost felt like a staring contest except both of us blinked. She stepped a little closer to me, not breaking eye contact.

"Jake." She said.

"Yeeeah?" I asked.

"I love you."

I smiled. "I love you too Ariana."

She grabbed my hand and smiled.

"No, I mean I really love you. I'm in love with you. At first I thought I only felt this way because I was dieing and only had you besides my parents. But now I'm healthy and I have my life back, I have my friends back, and all these boys always flirt with me...but I still only want to be yours."

I raised my eyebrow. "How many boys are talkin? 3...4...17?" I asked.

She laughed. "Jake I'm serious. I wasn't sure before...but I'm sure now. If we're ganna be together I need you to promise that if your feelings for me go away you'll tell me."

"What?" I hugged her. "You crazy!? I love you."

She wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me tight. "I love you too."

We walked out to her mom's car and I felt different. I felt wanted. Yeah sure I was used to thousands of girls saying they loved me everyday, but for Ari to say it...it was different because it meant she felt the same way about me that I felt about her.

"Where are we going?" I asked her.

"To this little shop a few minutes away, they make phone cases and I have to pick yours up. Then I thought we could get some frozen yogurt."

She leaned forward in her seat to make sure no cars were coming before continuing onto the next street.

"That sounds great."

The case she designed for me was incredible! It was black with a black and white picture of Michael Jackson faded into a picture of my favorite artist, Andy Warhol.

"$15.97." The cashier told Ari. Before I could pay she already handed the woman a $20 bill.

"Gosh, Ari I have money." I told her as we walked towards a table outside.

"Trust me. I know that Jake." She laughed. "But I don't need you spending money on me, I'm just...not that kind of girl."

I just smiled and sat down. Ari would never ask me for anything, but spoiling her was something I looked forward to now that I was 18 and had access to my bank account.

"Now." She exhaled. "Surprise number two."

She pulled out a folded up piece of paper and slid it across the table without moving her hand from on top of it.

"Ok, now before you say anything I KNOW you have a busy schedule and won't be mad if you can't come."

I was excited, but hid it well because apparently she didn't want me getting my hopes up over anything. I grabbed the piece of paper and unfolded it by tugging on multiple corners. On the flyer I noticed a piture of a large graduation cap and then read the letters that were in big bold letters across the page.

ATTENTION CLASS OF 2013! CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT THIS FAR! WE HOPE ALL OUR SENIORS WILL ATTEND THE "NIGHT OF DREAMS" PROM, SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 16TH, 2013! TICKETS GO ON SALE MAY 1ST THROUGH THE 15TH! COME TOGETHER WITH YOUR FELLOW SENIORS FOR THE NIGHT OF DREAMS BEFORE TRAVELING DOWN THE PATH TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE!

I smiled from ear to ear and my eyes widened.

"Ariana you want me to take you to prom!?"

"Yes."

I stood up and she did too. "Oh my god I would love to!"

I hugged her tight, feeling nothing but joy. Ever since I joined MB I imagined I wouldn't be going to a school prom...I was wrong!

"Ok. Sit and eat your yogurt I have to get you home soon."

"Ok." I frowned.

Once I was home again we'd be spending more time apart till tour was over. At first the Mindless lifetyle was hard because I got homesick, but now that I had a REAL girlfriend being away was much harder. She missed me, I missed her and it felt like everyday I was away was a day that some other guy could come along and take her away.

"Bye." She said, standing with me outside my front door. "Have a safe flight."

"Thank you."

She leaned in and kissed my cheek, she was pulling away slowly so I just held her chin in place and brushed my lips against hers.

"I love you." I whispered.

She kissed me softly then pressed her forehead against mine. "I love you too."

She attempted to smile, but I could see the pain hidden behind it. "Bye." She said once more before rushing back to the car.

"Bye." I whispered.