Hospital Living

Ari's mom had called me at 9 am to let me know Ariana was back in the hospital. She'd fallen down the stairs that morning and her body was really badly bruised and shaken up. Visiting hours were from 11am to 4pm so as soon as 10:50 came around I was in my mom's car on the way to see Ari.

Her dad waited for me in the lobby so the recepsionist wouldn't give me any problems trying to get to Ariana's room.

"Glad to see you're still around." He greeted me.

"Mr.Lyle I don't plan on going anywhere. Hope you don't mind."

He smiled and put his arm around my neck as we walked towards Ari's room. "Of course I don't mind. I see how happy you've made her."

I smiled for the rest of our walk. Had I really made Ari that happy? Happy enough to be noticed? Her dad was scary at first glance, tall and muscular, but once you'd been around him for a while you got to see the soft side of him.

When we got to Ari's room I first noticed it was empty.

"She's still with the doctor, should be back any second." Mr.Lyle told me.

"Ok."

He took the seat next to Ari's bed so I took the one by the window and watched the episode of Spongebob that was on. When Ari came in, assisted by a nurse I stood and both me and her dad went over to her.

"I got it son." He told me.

I backed up and he took Ari's arm away from the nurse and helped Ari the rest of the way to her bed. The nurse smiled flirtatiously at me and I rolled my eyes. Wow, what a professional establishment huh? She looked offended and walked out with an attitude. Oh well. I sat back in my chair when Mr.Lyle was in his again.

"Where's mom?" Aria asked him.

"She had to leave sweetie. I'm ganna call into work and get the day off."

"Nooo." She groaned. "Dad please go to work. I'm fine. And Jake is here if I need anything."

"Eh..." He hesitated. "I don't think he can handle it."

I stood up and walked over to Ariana's bed. "With all due respect sir I think I can manage. And if not...it's a hospital, I'll call for someone."

He looked away from me as if my words meant nothing to him. "Ari only if you're ok and really don't need me."

She smiled at him weakly. "Dad GO away."

He chuckled and stood. "Ok. ok. Call me if you change your mind and I'll be here in the blink of an eye!"

"Yes daddy." She smiled.

Her smile was so fake, and he seemed so oblivious to it.

"Oh dad." She said. "Close the door when you leave please."

He glared at me. "I'm trusting you Perez."

"Ok sir." I replied.

He kissed Ari's forehead and shot me one last glare before leaving and shutting the door.

"God he's scary!" I told Ari.

She laughed slightly. "Not really, but it's probably good that he scares you."

"Probably."

I said sitting in the chair her dad was and grabbed her hand.

"So. You fell down the stairs?"

"Yes." She sighed. "My foot just slipped and I fell and rolled all the way to the bottom of the steps."

"Ouch."

"Yeah, ouch." She sighed heavily. "My body is extremely sensitive and now I have bruises everywhere."

I noticed she had on regular pajamas.

"No hospital gown?"

"No. My doctor made an exception for me...seeing how I've practically been living here. I don't wanna live in a hospital gown, I wanna feel comfortable."

"You told you're dad you were ok a second ago...but you aren't."

She bit her lip and her eyes automatically watered. "Everything hurts. My body hurts all over. But he needs to work...these hospital bills aren't cheap and since they won't just let me...die I need to not keep them from work."

"Oh, I see." I nodded.

I kissed her hand and watched her smile.

"Wow I've really missed you." She blushed.

"Good, cuz I've missed you too."

I rubbed her hand and watched her eyelids slowly start to shut.

"I'm sleepy." She whispered.

"Ok." I whispered in reply.

I hovered over her and kissed her lips gently before sitting back down.

"Good morning." I whispered.

"Good morning."

It was actually morning, so why say "Good night"?