A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Three

Börja om från början

For as long as I've known him, he has never showed any interest in anything other than science. What was so important that made him put his life on the line to uncover it?

Opening the file, I immediately spot a cream envelope with my name written in fancy italic and I place the file on my lap to pick up the envelope, turning it over a few times before opening the envelope.

Clara,

If you're reading this, my life has come to an end. My only hope will be that it'll be by your hands that I die.

You're most likely unaware of why I have been made a target by the Authorities. Truth is, I do not know either but what I do is that I have uncovered a secret. As you're well aware, I do not concern myself with anything for science is the only primary thing in my life. My life has come to this because of the eventful night which I shall recount for you.

It all started the night I had to stay in late to finish off a report on a recent experiment. The aim of this experiment was to unjoin artificial beings from their donors so in case their donors die in battle, half of their abilities won't be taken as well. As the previous months before, we failed again. Our faith in this experiment was quickly dwindling with each failed attempt and it only plummeted when the Authorities were planning on pulling the plug.

To cut a long story short, I had just finished the report and was about to send it off when an earthquake happened. It was a small one but nonetheless it managed to shake the whole building. Acting upon instinct, I grabbed onto my desk to prevent myself from falling over without realizing that I opened a small section of the wall. After the earthquake had passed, I proceeded to organise my desk when the small section I had unconsciously open caught my eye.

Of course, any human will be naturally suspicious and I was no exception to that rule as I made my way over to it. A small book was the only thing in the compartment and it was coated in dusted which told me that it hasn't been looked at in a while. Being a scientist you explore all the possibilities whether they dangerous or not and discovering a hidden book immediately sparked my interest. I took the book out without thinking and opened it.

The first picture was a drawing of a city, an ancient one to be exact. The drawing was so detailed that I would have written a novel if I wrote down what I saw into this letter but all I know is that it would've been a beautiful city to have laid eyes on.

I decide to read the book and after a whole two hours of reading, I uncovered a city called Argentum Maria. It is a lost city that existed well over four centuries years ago. It was said that the city's inhabitants had the ability of magic, granted to them by the silver sea that flowed underground. Their exact ability was never learned but it was rumoured that they could grant a person all their power, should they ever chose to do so. It is also said that the city was lost after the heiress of the throne mysteriously disappeared and so did the ring that the present King wore around his neck at that time. What happened to the heiress was never known and nothing has been discovered for four hundred years about the ring either. The book had no information on the ring at all and because of that I decided to do my own research.

I was unsuccessful, to say the least, on discovering anything about the heiress, not even so much as a picture but I managed to uncover a few details concerning the ring which will be explained to you in the file.

Shortly after discovering this book and doing research, I was suddenly employed to become the head of the SDDG. Upon hearing the news, I was ecstatic for it has always been my dream but then it occurred to me thee question of why was I made the next head of the SDDG? I was a mere scientist that took part in the lesser experiments. And what happened to the previous head of the SDDG?