Day 19: THE SPIRIT OF PERVERSION

Start from the beginning

Once upon a time, when God wanted to bring King Ahab to judgment, He sent “a lying spirit” (a perverse spirit) into his prophets, his religious advisers. They saw visions, which they supposed were from God. They prophesied, convinced that they were being directed by the Spirit of God, whereas, in judgment upon the king, a perverse spirit had been set in motion in their camp. It took only one discerning true prophet of God to see what was at work, although that did not change much (I Kings 22:1-40).

In the case of Egypt, the perverse spirit at work in the nation’s councillors, commissioners, governors, ministers, special advisers to the king, ambassadors, and so on, caused them to lead the nation into embarrassment; it turned their wisdom into foolishness. Reputable economic advisers gave perverse economic advice; internationally respected political advisers, surprisingly, gave disastrous political advice. ‘Special advisers’ gave ‘specially’ perverted advice.

Consequently, high and low could do “no work.” Strikes (industrial actions) followed one another tail to tail. There was indolence and general unproductivity, by spiritual sabotage. The result was an economic, social, and political crisis. But, worse still, the once-feared Egyptians became weak and timid, like women. Why? The judgment hand of the Lord of host was being shaken over them.

Very well has King Solomon said, from experience: “Keep evil advisers away from the king and his government will be known for its justice” (Proverbs 25:5, Good News). Perversed or “evil advisers,” therefore, can be a scourge to any king or kingdom, even the most powerful and most civilized. They can make a government notorious for “its injustice.” (Does that describe us?)

Strangely, whereas God sent a perverse spirit into Egypt, He granted Judah the spirit of counsel – “The counsel of the LORD of hosts” (v.17). That spirit of divine counsel upon Judah made Judah a terror, whereas the perverse spirit upon Egypt made Egypt to be terrified.

Useful clarifications are offered by the Amplified Bible, from verse 11:

11 The princes of Zoan are utterly foolish, the counsel of the wisest counselors of Pharaoh has become witless - stupid. How can you say to Pharaoh, I am a son of the wise, a son of ancient kings?

12 Where then are your wise men? Let them tell you now , and let them make known what the Lord of hosts has purposed against Egypt .

13 The princes of Zoan have become fools, and the princes of Memphis are confused and deceived; those who are the cornerstones of her tribes [[or local government areas, regions, states, provinces, ministries, parastatals, etc.]] have led Egypt astray.

Like Egypt under judgment, there are families which are in trouble today. The wife or husband opened up to a perverse spirit, which was introduced through a ‘concerned’ friend or parent or in-law. Similarly, some businesses, perhaps because they are under judgment, have lost much money through ‘attractive’ but perverse ideas sold to them by counsellors with a perverse spirit. The owners of those businesses lacked the spirit of counsel (the portion of Judah), so they were unable to discern the strange spirit of error at work. Today, they who used to be industrial giants have become like women, fearful, confused, and timid, with no work being done in their ‘kingdom.’

Not a few Christian ministries and churches have also been torn apart because the enemy himself (not God) mingled a perverse spirit in their midst. In Acts 6:1-8, Satan tried to do just that to the early Church, but by “the spirit of counsel,” the plot was quickly discerned and defeated.

I sense at present a direction from the Lord for our land, that we need to pray and cast out all perverse spirits, which Satan has mingled into our leaders and their advisers, especially the “wise men ” that work in the Presidency. Earlier this year, I began to know from the Lord that the Head of State was confused; unsure of what to do. Shortly after, the papers carried news which confirmed this. In a few prayer meetings afterwards, I had to raise the concern. Now I have a better understanding of the situation.

After casting out the perverse spirits from around our throne, we have to send the same spirits of perversion, as a weapon, against the enemies of the Lord, into the camp of the unrighteous and wicked, upon the seat of the ‘bond ones’, upon their armies, and upon our financial and economic thieves and wasters, etc. Let them be confused, wearied, and scattered; let their tongues be divided, as was the tongue of the rebellious builders of the tower of Babel; let their salutations of peace sound to each other as the greetings of war. May their counsels, like the foolish counsels of the famous adviser Ahitophel, at the time of his rebellion, in judgment, be turned into foolishness (2 Samuel 15:31; 16:23; 17:14,23). I perceive that that is one weapon which God is committing to us for the present battle.

Finally, we all need the spirit of counsel – for the leadership of the nation, the Church, the home, and even our private businesses. The Lord has assured, and bids it be proclaimed, that He shall do good to the land; that there shall once more be joy in the land by reason of the ‘something’ He shall do. God shall do good to us, but we must be rid of perverse counsellors and councillors. Amen.