10. While You Were Gone

Kol's room was lit up by the rays of the morning sun through the window. Yet again, no sound came from the house but the gentle shifting of the two vampires' bodies under the ruffled silk sheets of the bed. Caroline slept peacefully, burrowed into Kol's side like a bird in a nest, her head resting against his bare chest. He had his left arm wrapped around her body snugly, holding her close to him so that she couldn't leave. So desperately he wanted her to stay like this with him for as long as possible.

Unfortunately for both of them, the enjoyment of each other's company quickly came to an end. A sound from downstairs had woken Caroline from her slumber and brought Kol out of his catalepsy. Caroline rubbed her eyes gently and looked up at Kol, smiling lovingly at him.

"Good morning," she sighed, her voice gentle-almost angelic. "What's wrong?"

"I thought I heard something downstairs." Kol inched upward in his bed, propping himself up against the headboard.

"I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. It's pin-drop quiet in here. You're probably imagining things to fill the silence." Caroline moved up next to Kol, cuddling into his side like the way she had slept. It felt right, being here like this with him. She thought that it would be awkward at first, but it was exactly the opposite. She'd felt like this was how things were meant to be. All that she wanted was to spend the day in bed with Kol-talking, snuggling and kissing-not leaving each other's side.

"Hm, perhaps you're right. But I still think I should check-"

Caroline quickly ended his sentence by pecking his lips benevolently. "Please, stay with me?"

Kol gave her a stern look, indicating that he was serious about wanting to check out whatever it was that he heard. He wanted to believe it was nothing, but he couldn't be sure.

"Please?" Caroline whined a little, nuzzling her face into the crook of his neck.

With a loud sigh, Kol nodded and smiled at her graciously. "Very well then."

He leaned down to kiss her gently as she'd done before, only this time it progressed to something much more. Kol pulled Caroline up onto his lap, having her face him and she giggled softly as his hands trailed her bare back.

"Well, looks like the two love birds finally woke up. I made tea downstairs in the kitchen if either of you want any. It's herbal."

Caroline's body pivoted toward the direction of the door, eyes following. Kol was right after all. There was a noise in the mansion. It was his brother, Klaus. He was back. Those words rang through the blonde's mind. He's back. He's back. He's back.

It took both Kol and herself a moment to realize that they were both a little overexposed, caught by Klaus, and Caroline had come to the realization that since Klaus was here, that meant that Tyler was no longer among them.

"Klaus, I-I wasn't expecting you back so soon." Caroline felt a blush come to her cheeks and she hiked the bed sheets up to her neck, feeling a little embarrassed.

"It seems you two didn't waste any time while I was gone. Glad to see you've moved on from Tyler, Caroline, considering he's a little on the extinct side."

"Well aren't you just sensitive today, brother," Kol piped up.

"I'm feeling a little unhinged today. My apologies." Klaus scowled slightly at the sight of his brother in bed with the girl he was in love with. He'd expected this from Kol, but not from Caroline. Surely she wouldn't just crawl into bed with him after only really spending two days time with him. Klaus had his suspicions in which he was eager to address later, at a more appropriate time.