5. Bye, Bye, Baby

Within minutes of the Mikaelson brothers leaving The Forbes' house, Caroline tried to make sense of what just happened. Not the situation, but the feeling afterwards. Everything had made sense until Klaus kissed her again. It was exactly like the last time he'd left her; when he left her in the football field in the school-yard before he went to New Orleans. Even though she loved Tyler, she thought about that kiss a lot. Every day, in fact. It was something different with him—the way they would gaze at each other when they were alone, the fact that she didn't have to hide anything from him because he didn't care about silly things like that.

But what struck her as the most odd was that she was completely comfortable around him, but at the same time she always had a small lump in her throat when they spoke. It was unsettling, but a good kind of unsettling. She never wanted to admit it to anyone, not even him, but she enjoyed his presence. Klaus coming to see her today; to check on her... she had this feeling deep inside like she was almost grateful. Grateful in that he cared enough about her to come and see her, even just for a few minutes.

And the kiss... she just couldn't dismiss the thought from her mind. His lips gently brushing against her skin. It felt right. Her cheek still tingled where she was now touching with her hand. The feeling was almost euphoric, but she felt like it was wrong to think these things and to want what she wanted.

What about Tyler? she thought to herself. You love Tyler. Tyler loves you. Why are you thinking about Klaus? It could never work. He isn't right for you.

But, she began again. for the longest time, Klaus has watched out for you, trying to keep you safe. He's in love with you and you know it. He knows it. He wants this; he wants you. And so do you.

Her mind was at war with her heart and she just tried to shake these thoughts away completely. Luckily she didn't have to, though. Tyler had interrupted her thoughts by announcing that he was leaving.

"Where are you going? I thought you were staying over tonight?" Caroline's face fell low, disappointed that Tyler was breaking his promise to her.

"Something came up. Hayley said she wanted to meet me for something important."

"Alright, alright. I'll see you soon, okay?"

Tyler nodded reluctantly, though Caroline didn't notice. They shared a quick kiss before he reminded her that he loved her and then left. After thinking about Klaus and the kiss, kissing Tyler felt different. It felt like it wasn't supposed to happen; like she'd done something wrong. She didn't feel the spark that she'd felt when they first were together, or even yesterday for that matter. Was Klaus coming here the problem? Was it his fault? Did seeing him again make Caroline feel something for him?

But you love Tyler, the blonde reminded herself again. Not Klaus.

Meanwhile, back at the Original hybrid's estate, the two brothers were discussing Hayley again. The topic came up several times since Kol's reappearance yesterday night. Klaus seeked his brother's acceptance in the matter. Rebekah and Elijah both understood. Hell, Elijah even convinced Klaus that he should care for the baby instead of shrug it off as if it's not his responsibility.

"You know, brother. I've been thinking... maybe this baby isn't such a bad idea. I mean, we can continue to build our family. They'll be as strong as you one day."

"If only that were true, mate."

"You never know."

Kol was trying to side with Klaus, making him seem even less suspicious. When Klaus hears news of Hayley's death, Kol needed to be the last person to be accused of it. The blood was to stay on Tyler's hands and whatever punishment Klaus or anyone else was to give him, it would be only his to bear.

But there was a deeper meaning; a hidden message in his words. It would all make sense in time. See, Kol had information about a certain doppelgänger that would be of use to Klaus in the future. If he brought it up now, everything could fall apart and he didn't want that. Everything had to unravel as planned.

Klaus had left Kol to do as he pleased for the day while he found himself back in his study, thinking about the beautiful, radiant blonde he'd yet again left behind in Mystic Falls. Everything with Caroline was different. Everything about her was enticing, exciting, spontaneous. He enjoyed her; her company. Caroline was beautiful, strong and full of light. She brought Klaus out of his darkness when he needed the reminder that some things are worth saving. Caroline hadn't given up on him, no matter how much she wanted to and he knew that and was grateful for that.

In the city, Tyler scouring for Hayley. Eventually, he just asked her to meet him some place. A pub not too far from where he was. She agreed, not thinking anything of it. No one knew what was going to happen, except for Kol who was alone in his room, waiting for Klaus to get the memo.

Hayley showed up, but was escorted by Marcel and one of the witches working with him. Hayley was happy to see him, and of course Tyler was happy to see her too. Although, all Tyler could think about was what he was compelled to do. He was ordered by Kol to kill her once they were alone and flee immediately after. He needed Tyler alive for a little while after at least. He had a huge master plan in store for everyone. 

Tyler was told not to say anything to anyone about what he was going to do to Hayley, not to say who told him to kill her; to say it was all his idea because he didn't Hayley to have the baby. He didn't want another Klaus running around. Basically he was told to say whatever possible to keep Kol's involvement anonymous or secret and to put as much blame on himself as possible. Kol had thought everything through before compelling him. He didn't want a single thing in his plan to falter.

"Hayley, I need to speak with you alone. It's important."

Hayley nodded at Marcel and the witch to let her go alone. She told them that Tyler wasn't of any harm to her; that they were friends. They stayed back at the pub while Tyler and Hayley walked some distance into the forest. Hayley wondered where Tyler was taking her, but she felt safe with him, so she didn't question him. She felt that he knew exactly what he was doing. Ironically, that was precisely true.

Once they stopped in a clearing in the middle of nowhere in the forest, Hayley took it as the opportunity to ask why he wanted to speak with her privately.

"So, why did you bring me all the way out here?" she smirked at him, trying to meet his eyes with hers.

"I wanted to talk about you; about us."

"What do you mean... us?"

Tyler took her hand in his and smiled at her gently. "I know you feel it. The connection we have. I really like you, Hayley. I want you to give us a chance because I know I'm ready to."

His words really caught Hayley by surprise. Secretly she'd wished Tyler would have chosen her over Caroline. They'd hit it off pretty well in the time they'd spent together over the past couple months. Maybe Hayley could finally get the chance with Tyler she'd wanted for the longest time.

"I'm ready too, Tyler."

She pulled him in for a hug and they held each other for a moment before Tyler pulled back. "There's something I want to do."

He placed his hands gently against her cheeks, cupping her face as he began to lean his head forward to kiss her. Hayley's eyes were now closed, waiting for Tyler's lips to meet hers but instead, Tyler took the opportunity to snap her neck like a twig.

"I'm sorry," he mouthed before running off, high tailing it back to Mystic Falls where he hoped he would be safe.