15. The Moment of Truth

Within a matter of seconds upon Kol's arrival back at Klaus's mansion, Kol had devised a simple plan. Klaus was a little hesitant at first with going through with what his younger brother had proposed, but it was necessary in order to save Caroline. There were no such things as limits when it came to Caroline's protection and her life. Klaus nor Kol knew what Marcel was up to; Caroline could be bait to lure Klaus to him, or perhaps he just wants to take away literally everything from him that meant something. Either way, he had to be stopped.

"So we're just going to kill him?" Klaus lifted a brow at the thought. For as long as Klaus had known Marcel, which was a fairly long time, he'd felt a special bond with him. He'd always been like family; the Bonnie to his Clyde. And now he lost any respect Klaus had left for him after this stunt. He needed to pay.

Kol nodded his head quickly and then added, "What did you do to Marcel to piss him off anyway?"

Klaus just shook his head swiftly and replied, "Absolutely nothing. I've been nothing but a good friend since I've been back in New Orleans. He's power hungry and he probably feels threatened by the fact that there are now four Originals back here. If I were him I'd be shaking in my boots. Luckily for me, I am an Original." Klaus smirked slyly, as if he'd just been placed on a pedestal. Kol grinned along with him as if he were right up on that pedestal with him.

"You know, I do have some information that might interest you, maybe even help you. You said that Marcel had a secret weapon, right?" Klaus nodded simply, intrigued by what his brother had to say. "Well, let's just say I know of a little someone who could help you out with building an army of hybrids."

"Impossible. There's no human doppelgängers left."

"But there is, Nik. Katherine. Elena fed her the cure. You can make more hybrids if you wish. I think it could help us fight back against Marcel and whatever it is he's using against us. With them, we can save Caroline."

"Well, let's not waste anymore time, shall we? We must find Katherine and have her brought back here immediately. Oh god, and where on this bloody earth are we supposed to find more werewolves? We don't just have them at our disposal in the French quarter. It's prohibited by Marcel."

"There just so happens to be a pack nearby, just outside of the Quarter. They were keeping close tabs on Hayley when she first arrived here." Klaus didn't ask anymore questions, he just headed for the door. "And by the way, I apologize for storming out earlier. It was immature of me and I'm happy for you," Kol said just loud enough for it to be audible to the human ear.

"No need to apologize, little brother. I'm just glad you're here now when it matters most." Klaus smiled at his brother in approval and continued out the door.

Just outside the French quarter, Kol had directed his brother to the estimated location of the werewolf pack. It was a clearing into the woods and with Klaus's ability to smell things further than a dog's nose, he could catch the scent of a fire burning from just about a mile away. As he headed to the woods, however, Kol stopped him and spun him around.

"Kol, what in the bloody hell are you doing?" Klaus demanded. "We need to hurry if we're going to save Caroline. She could be dead right now for all we know, and if that's the case, it's on you."

"Relax, brother. I brought you as close to the werewolves as I can without them realizing we're here. However, I did not promise I'd be with you when you got to Marcel."

"So you're not going, then? You're going to just bail when I finally admit to you that I need your help?" Klaus raised his voice out of confused rage. He didn't understand what was going through his brother's mind. Before they'd got off the phone Kol was all on board for helping him. Now he was going back on his word.