8. Sudden Turn Of Events

After a couple of hours had passed, Caroline had managed to take a nap while Kol went on a rampage searching for her in the forest. She thought he would've given up ages ago, especially after Elijah had spoken with him, breaking his concentration. Unfortunately, tricking Kol had its consequences because he'd woken her up from her peaceful slumber, seeming rather pissed off at her.

Kol's face was red and he looked like he was going to explode at any second. His glare found Caroline's eyes and he didn't dare to look away for a second, for he knew not to trust that she'd stay there. He was mostly disappointed that she did that to him. Sure, maybe he did deserve it, more than Caroline would ever understand, but she could have been a lot nicer about it.

"If you didn't want to play anymore, you could have just said so. Better yet, you had Elijah in on it too. What did I do to you to deserve that? I felt like an idiot running around out there all afternoon while you probably sat back in your pedestal of a bed, sipping blood. " His eyes grew cold and his voice suddenly became an emotionless echo through the room. It was as if he'd only been making noise rather than actually speaking to her.

"Chill out, Kol, okay? I got bored so I decided to make it fun again. Not my fault I outsmarted you."

Kol had to hold back a wicked grin because of what Caroline had said. Sure, maybe she'd outsmarted him on this, but if she knew that he was behind Hayley's death, Tyler's soon-to-be execution, and was the one responsible for her being here, then she'd know who had been the one to outsmart the other. No one had suspected a thing. Sure his siblings were smart, but he was surprised they hadn't caught on to how suspicious he seemed. It was as if it hadn't occurred to them that Tyler killed Hayley the day after Kol came back from the Other Side and only hours after Kol and Klaus had visited Caroline and Tyler. Kol was left alone with Tyler for a period of time, which allowed him to use his compulsion on him.

Caroline had found her way into the hall, wanting to go downstairs, but Kol followed her again. "Still chasing after me, huh?"

"I guess you could say that," he began, licking his lips coquettishly. "If you didn't like my previous game, perhaps I can interest you in other sorts of activities." He flashed up the hall, pinning Caroline to the wall at the top of the stairs. She struggled for a moment but quickly gave up, realizing that there was no point in fighting an Original. He was much stronger than her, making it practically impossible to break from his grip, even if she tried with everything in her.

Kol restrained Caroline from moving. His breath was heavy, dancing gently down her neck, leaving a trail of goosebumps. Vampires couldn’t feel cold and heat the way humans do, but with being a vampire comes heightened senses, and Caroline’s were in overdrive right now. It was chilling in a way that she couldn’t find the words to describe.

“If you promise to behave and do as you’re told this time, you can come with me some place. We can get to know each other a little better. Have fun.”

“Have fun? With Kol Mikaelson?” Caroline couldn’t help but burst into laughter at the thought. “Challenge accepted.”

Finding it amusing that Caroline found this funny, Kol began scheming again. His eyes grew wide as his vindictive mind began to go wild coming up with ideas to get Caroline back. His thoughts were always of something diabolical in nature.

“All right. But, if I prove you wrong and you do have fun, then you’ll have to do something in return for me.”

Caroline tried to stomach the idea, but surely she would win this bet, right?

“Deal.”

They shook on it and Kol smiled gently at her. “Now, go put on something nice so we can leave. I’m sure Nik has plenty of dresses suitable for the occasion stored in that bedroom of yours.”