7. We All Love A Little Chase

The following morning, Kol had woken up from a peaceful good night's rest. The estate was much quieter than yesterday, which he didn't believe was possible. The sun shone through the window and gently against his face as he traced circles on his stomach with his right index finger. It was peaceful today, like most other days, but today felt a little different. Today Kol had felt like he was at ease with the world and he could just relax, spending the day in the mansion with Caroline. She seemed like someone he could have fun with if he could convince her.

Suddenly Kol's phone blared, playing a song that surely echoed through the house. It was silent enough in the mansion that you could hear a pin drop from anywhere, and with his heightened vampire hearing, it wouldn't be difficult at all.

He feared that it may have woken Caroline. Kol did not need an angry, distraught Caroline on a rampage to kill him at this hour of the morning. He could easily kill her if need be, but his brother definitely wouldn't agree with that and he'd be dead the second Klaus found out.

He quickly answered the phone, not letting it delay any longer and with a quick sigh, a simple "Hello, Niklaus," escaped from his throat.

"Good morning, brother. Sorry to disturb you, I was just checking in on you and Caroline, making sure that two of you had made it back home safely."

Kol chuckled softly, realizing his brother had doubted him, thinking that he hadn't gone through with the plan they had made yesterday. "Of course we're at the estate, Nik. Caroline, I believe, is sleeping sound in one of the guest rooms."

"Good, good. Keep a close eye on her then. I shall return home as soon as I can. It seems that giving Tyler the head start benefited him more than I had thought," Klaus' voice stayed its usual twisted tone, yet Kol knew that he was upset about it.

"I'll take care of her, brother. You don't need to worry about that. Just focus of finding Tyler." Kol remained positive, hoping that his brother would stay calm and entrust that he knew what he was doing.

The line went dead and Kol sighed to himself again, a lot softer than before. He had to admit that it was a bit of a plus that his brother may be gone longer than he had thought. After all, he was alone with Caroline in the mansion until he got back. It wasn't completely a horrible thought. Caroline was strong, beautiful, level-headed. Kol admired that in her.

As Kol was about to roll over and go back to sleep, he heard someone standing at the door, leaning against the off white door frame. He turned his head and saw that it had been Caroline. She smirked lightly at him, parting her lips to speak.

"I see Klaus is checking in on me already."

"Yes, well... you know him. He cares about you, darling."

"You know, it's ironic. He checks up on me to see if things are all right, yet he's off hunting down my boyfriend to kill him."

Kol's face went blank, realizing that it was a little ironic now that she'd mentioned it. However, there was nothing he could do and Kol saw it as Klaus doing a favour for himself, if Caroline decided to choose him, that is.

He rose from his bed in no rush and sauntered over to the door, making his way out of the room. He was feeling a little low on energy and decided it was time for a drink. "I'm sure my brother has some blood bags around here somewhere," he muttered quietly, though Caroline had picked up on it.

"Maybe you should try the fridge." Caroline's voice was sarcastic in a sense that she wanted Kol to know that it was obvious to check there.

"There's a possibility, but Nik is more of a hunter. He enjoys feeding from the vein."