Fire ~ Josh

It felt as if it had only been seconds since you had drifted to sleep, when a strange smell somewhat similar to burning toast started to wake you up.

You sat up slowly, and peeked around your dark room. What was that smell? It was weird and unusual. Maybe I'm dreaming, you thought, starting to lie back down – but you suddenly heard the crackle of flame. That's when you realized you weren't dreaming, that smell was smoke!

"Josh!" you squealed, shoving his arm to wake him up.

"What?" he answered groggily.

"The house is on fire! We have to get out!" you cried.

"Wh... what? Did you say... the house was on fire?" he said now realizing that the smell was smoke. You nodded and jumped out of bed, pulling his sleeve.

"Why isn't the alarm going off? I just checked them last month!" he yelled, seeming scared and angry.

You rushed to the door, just about to open it, when you heard Josh yell. "Wait! There could be flames on the other side! Feel if the knob is hot before you open it."

You reached out hesitantly and gripped the small knob. It wasn't hot so you flung the door open. The smoke flooded in your face as you coughed.

"Josh!" you screamed.

"One second babe, I'm getting the cats. Get on your hands and knees and crawl!" he ordered. He soon joined you on the floor carrying the cats. You both crawled over to the stairs, and started your descent.

You nearly screamed when you saw the billowing flames now coming from the kitchen. I must have accidentally left the burner on! You reached the door a few seconds later, and tried to push it open.

"It's stuck!" you yelled.

"Let me try," Josh said, trying to remain calm. Your door had been having trouble lately, but you never thought something like this could happen. He shoved his body weight into it a few time with no luck. Tears started streaming down you face as you cry loudly.

"Josh, I love you so much!" you bawled.

"(Y/n) relax! Somebody will get us out. We just have to wait for them." he said calmly.

"...But what if they don't? What, Josh? What then?!" you demand, borderline hysterical.

"Well, how about we think about that when it happens?" he says looking into your eyes.

Just then you hear sirens outside. "Pound on the door as hard as you can!" he yells.

You and Josh beat the door as hard as you can until you hear a voice outside.

"Stand back, we will have you out in just a moment!" someone yells.

You move as far away from the door as you can without getting burnt. Seconds later you see someone beating it open with an ax. The fireman kicks it down, and motions towards you. You both stumble out into the cold air, coughing like crazy.

Josh sets the cats down, and pulls you into a huge hug. Tears stream down your face as the medical team run over with oxygen.

"Here you go," says a woman shoving a mask on your face, and then Josh's. "You two were lucky we got here in time – pretty nasty fire. You could have been burnt really bad."

"We could have died," you sniffle.

"Oh sweetie, you were in good hands," she says pointing at Josh. "If we had never come, I am sure he would have gotten you out."

After getting oxygen and medical checks you got an all clear to go to a hotel or family members' house for the remainder of the night. Josh rounded up the cats and put them in his car.

The ride started out silent, but you couldn't keep quiet.

"Josh, were you scared?" you asked in almost a whisper.

"Yes," he admitted, "but not for myself. I was only worried about you."

"What if it ever happens again?" you question.

"I hope it never does, but just know that I will always protect you" he said, taking your hand softly.

"And I will protect you," you laughed, smiling at him.

It was a really pleasant trip to Tyler and Jenna's house at four a.m. to tell them your house burned down.