chapter 7

»Amy«

"Mom!  Are you ok? What happened? Have you eaten?" I bombarded her with questions.

"Calm down Amy, the last thing I ever wanted was for you to interrogate me while in a hospital bed" Mom chuckled.

"I told you not to over-work yourself! You never listen do you?" I crossed my arm. Only then have I realised an old man, probably around mom's age, sitting in the chair next to her bed. He was also wearing the hospital's outfit; he has almost grey hair and wore glasses.

"Oh honey, this is John, my friend" Mom introduced. For some reason, 'John looked familiar'...but nothing popped up so I let it slide.

"Hi, I'm glad my mother has company, she gets lonely all the time since I'm her only child and I always work" I thanked him.

"Well, the pleasure's all mine. I, too, have a son, he always work so he doesn't have time for me. Since I've been sick, he has taken over for me and took all the responsibilities." He added with a shrug.

"Well I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure he cares for you..." I smiled at John. I looked down at my watch and it said 9 o'clock..."So...anyone up for dinner?"

Us three sat down at the hospital's restaurant drinking coffee and tea. So much for 'dinner'.

"Haha, yes, Amy here is single, she hasn't been in a relationship for 3 years" Mom blurted out.

"Is that so, same goes for my son, he's hasn't been in a relationship since high school....How about we set them up on a blind date?" John whispered the last part. He thought I didn't hear so I let it slide again.

"Oh honey, how would you feel going on a blind date?" Mom turned in my direction to question me.

"Mooommmm, you know I-" She cut me off.

"Come on darling, just give this one a try? For me?" My mom begged giving me the cutest puppy dog eyes.

"Fine, just one date...oh...and you do the arranging" I said as I got up to grab another cup of coffee.

I returned to the table to see mom laughing at something John said, I looked at my watch and it said 10 o'clock. I had to leave.

"Mom, I'll come by maybe tomorrow or the day after ok? And John, it was nice meeting you!" I gave him a small polite smile as I grabbed my bag and walked off.

I rummaged through my purse for my car keys and then I felt myself walking into someone. My purse dropped out of my hand and there, revealed my keys.

"Sorry" I said insincerely.

"Amy? What are you doing here?" I looked up to the familiar voice and saw the drop-dead-gorgeous Blake Davis.

"YOU!" I gasped in surprise.