Chapter Fifteen B: Recovery

Start from the beginning

Emily cowered, squirming from Amber's grip and taking shelter behind me. I guess even she knew better not to be around Amberlynn when she's pissed off.

"Joshy...I'm scared. Is Amber gonna hurt anyone?"

A pale hand was placed on her head, making her look up with a smile. Vi stood there, sheltering her with his free arm, his other one holding the beehive stuffed with fresh honey. Minor stings covered that arm, and for once I wished I was the one risking my safety.

"...We need to treat your arm."

"I'm fine." He replied. "I don't have any allergies, I've been through worse."

Sighing in protest, I watched as Washington was pinned down by the furious redhead, one by one taking in blows to the face.

"I can't stand people like you! You think this sort of thing is funny?!" She growled, taking one last killer blow before stopping to catch her breath, her fist frozen mid-punch.

Silence.

"...Dammit. He fell unconcious." Amber huffed. "Wimp."

She stood, pulling a rag from her back pocket and casually wiping the blood off her hands, mumbling something to herself about getting redneck spittle on her clothes.

"Sorry you had to witness that." She started, smiling sheepishly. "I normally don't go all out around strangers."

Emily grabbed my hand, squeezing lightly. I smiled at her.

"It's okay. We'll figure this out." I whispered, then turned to Amber.

"U-Uh, no problem. Actually, we were about to eat. Breakfast is almost ready, you hungry?"

"Starved." She replied, chuckling nervously. "Seems like I haven't eaten in days."

Vi went to finish the honey venison, while Emily, Amber and I tended to Washington's more serious injuries and prepared for the food.

Once we were all situated, the questions began. The redhead had a giggling Emily in her lap, gently coaxing her to eat.

"So, why is it that this kid talks like me anyway?" Amber asked, chewing on her slice of meat. "Is she mine? If so, who's the father? They better pay me child support."

I sighed. "You could say you adopted her. While at the asylum she was set free, but she had nowhere to go. So you took her in." I explained. "She thinks of you as a mother."

She chuckled. "I see." Emily then looked up at Amber with a warm smile.

"She's cute. What's your name, kid?"

"Her name is Emily." Vi replied. "Just remember to keep her away from fire..."

"Fire?"

"Yes..." He said, stretching lightly. "The poor thing suffers from the trauma of burning her own house down...Her grief was the reason she became a patient..."

"I see. I'll keep that in mind." She said, frowning lightly. "You two seem to know a lot about the asylum."

"Well, I know most of this stuff from Vi." I said, shrugging lightly.

"Are you...You know..." Amber made a hand gesture, trying to think of the right words.

"Hmm? Oh..." The patient wrapped his arms around my neck, making me frown. "Yes, we are a loving couple. Isn't that right, Joshua?" He whispered, making me shudder. I unwrapped his arms and pushed him lightly.

"You're creeping her out." I said, turning to Amber. "Don't listen to him. He's crazy."

"Oh, I'm hurt, Joshua." He said with a smile. "I seem to recall you admitting to being a patient as well. You don't have to hide it, love."