A Sibling's Rivalry

Start from the beginning

I started hanging out with friends more and just diving more into the world of Pokémon and video games. My favourite and most prized possession was a Nintendo GameBoy that my mother had got me for my 10th birthday. This game was officially my life and I played it day and night. I barely even spoke to China any more and I could see that taking a toll on her.

Soon she was back to annoying me as usual. I didn't care though, I was happy and I just ignored her. That was up until her sixth birthday. We were celebrating it at the park with a bunch of her friends. I didn't even say happy birthday to her. I was so obsessed with my game that it was not until after the party when she threw her plate of cake at my face.

I expected to her annoying laughter but instead when I wiped the cake off my face I saw China standing in front of me with tears in her eyes. "Why are you ignoring me Chris? Today's my birthday and you never even said happy birthday! You're so mean! How could you!" She cried out at me as she punched me weakly in my stomach.

I felt kinda bad but I was just to proud to say sorry. "I was just going to say it later. Happy Fifth Birthday," I said half heartedly to her before turning back to my GameBoy and turning up the volume. "I'm turning six!" she cried as she ripped my GameBoy out of my hands. "Why did you do that!" I yelled at her.

"You don't care about me! You're always so mean to me and I never did anything to you ever. You said you'd be the best big brother but you're the worst. I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! And your stupid game too!" She screamed as she grabbed my GameBoy and threw it to the ground. She stomped on it over and over again before I pushed her to the ground.

I grabbed my game and looked at it. It was completely broken and covered in mud. I had never been so upset in my entire life. I turned and looked at her dead in her eyes. "You idiot you really are stupid. I don't care if you like me or not. I never liked you I'd prefer if you kept your distance. You're a horrible little brat and no one likes you. I don't understand why you couldn't go into some other boy's life and bother them. I hate you! Don't ever talk to me again. I don't care what happens to you, you can go die for all I care," I said as I turned my head away from her.

I could hear her crying hysterically. I had never been so mean to anyone in my life! I felt bad but I felt she needed to learn her lesson she I kept my head turned and tried not to look at her. "I'm sorry! I just wanted to be friends again!" she cried but I walked away from her, picked up my broken game and went inside.

I showed my mom my broken console and explained to her everything that happened... including what I did. "Christian James Reedan I can't believe you would do such a thing! Don't you feel bad for what you did?" She lectured me as my dad went outside to check on China. "I do Ma but she needed..... She was...." I tried to tell her but my voice trailed off as I became overwhelmed with guilt. How could I have done such a thing! My mom was continuing to lecture me when my dad burst in.

"China's not there!" he screamed. In a second we were all outside searching for her an calling her name. I fell down on the muddy ground as I realized this was all my fault. What if I never see her again! What if I never get to tell her I was sorry! I thought. That's when I noticed the tiny footsteps in the mud. I didn't hesitate to run after them and soon I was lost in the woods.

"China! CHINA!" I continued screaming as I lay helplessly on the ground crying. Suddenly I heard a twig snap. I looked and saw China hiding behind a tree. I got up and limped towards her but she ran off. "China please come back my foot really hurts," I screamed after her as I broke into an awkward run that hurt my knee even more.

Finally I caught up to her as she crawled into a hollowed out tree. I put my hand on her shoulder. She shook it out of my grasp and continued to look at me. "We have to get out of here China, let's go home. Come on," I said giving her my hand but she only stared at it. "You said to never talk to you again.... and that I was a brat!" She screamed as more tears poured down her face.