Chapter 45

***ONE MONTH LATER***

"I know you're going to be the best dad ever Luke. Please, wake up soon." I whispered, as I took ahold of Luke's cold, lifeless hand. "Please."

It had been almost one and a half months since Luke first fell into a coma, the doctors are saying that they don't think he has much time left. I can't bare the thought of losing Luke. I don't even want to think about it!

Ever since the doctors said that Luke may not have much time left to live; which was about a week ago, I've hardly even left his side, well none of us have to be honest.

It kills knowing that you may not be able to speak to one of your best friends, but also the father to your unborn child ever again. It hurts an unimaginable amount!

It was around 10:30pm so it was getting late. The last couple days Daniel and the others had been practically having to drag me out of the hospital, as I refused to leave him. James was with me a lot of the time actually, although they were all hurting at the thought of losing Luke, something else I knew that was hurting James was me. He hated seeing me in such a state, he told me. He's really worried about me.

"Steph, babe come on it's getting late." James told me.

To his surprise I didn't argue or refused this time, but just nodded. I quickly left a small kiss on Luke's soft, cold cheek and made my way over to where James was standing at the door.

***JAMES'S POV***

I was worried about Steph. I was really, really worried. She's been actually really different lately and not a good different. Since we found out about the news of Luke getting worse, she'd been spending most of her time up the hospital, and the small amount of time she was actually at home she was always locked away in her room.

The entire drive home was silent, completely silent. I didn't dare to say a word incase it somehow made her upset. She was so fragile at the moment.

Her bump was begging to show slightly, she was around 2 months pregnant now. The pain I felt knowing that Steph was having a baby with someone else had disappeared. It was now replaced with happiness. I knew how much Luke wanted a child, and I know that when he woke up he'd be the best father he could possibly be.

The drive home was complete silence, just as I expected. I daren't say a word incase it could possibly upset her somehow.

I felt a tremendous amount of sympathy for her, who wouldn't? As much as we were all hurting due to Luke's state she seemed to be the one who has taken most effect to it. Since the day we found out about Luke's state worsening, Steph spent most of her time up the hospital. And the time she wasn't up the hospital she spent locked up in her room, away from everyone.

As much as I was looking forward to the day Luke came out of hospital, I'm kinda worried at the same time. As selfish as that sounds, I am. I mean, with them having a baby and all, it meant they would be spending a lot more time together, which could possibly bring them closer.

I was scared of losing her.

I drove down the driveway, parking the car at the end. I then got out of the car and made my way over to Steph's side, opening the door for her. She looked up at me and sent me a warm smile. Well the best smile she could do anyway. It was as if, she felt bad for smiling while she knew Luke was still in the hospital almost at his death.

We both walked up to the house, still not another word said. Once we'd both entered the house, she did exactly as I thought she would; she walked straight up the stairs.

I on the other hand went into the living room, where Jai, Beau and Daniel were all sat.

"How is she?" Daniel asked.

"The same." I sighed.

"Oh." Was all that came out of his mouth, followed by a sigh.

***STEPH'S POV***

A small smile creeped onto my lips, as I looked into the mirror at my small bump. I imagined the future, my soon to be child had ahead of them. And how much of a wonderful dad Luke would be.

I imagined how amazing it will be being a mum. Being there for my child as they grow up. Watching them take their first steps, speak their first words.

But then my mood changed. I started thinking the worst again.

What if Luke doesn't wake up?

At least I know one thing. If the worst happened and Luke didn't pull through, at least I know James will be there. He'd do just as much of a good job as Luke would, and I know that James would treat mine and Luke's child like his own.

I looked in the mirror once again, this time at my face. I noticed that I no longer looked like the Steph I once knew. The Steph that was always laughing, and happy. The Steph that had a smile on her face 24/7.

My face looked more pale than it used to. My eyes were darkened, and I had dark circles surrounding them, along with them being red and puffy from the amount of crying I've been doing lately. My face was gaunt looking, and it no longer looked as radiant as it used to.

All of a sudden I heard a quiet knock on my bed room door. I walked over to it, opening it to find James.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey." I mumbled barely audible.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

I nodded, moving out of the way so he could enter. He went and sat down on my bed, so I joined him.

"I'm really worried about you Steph. You've barely spoken in the last two weeks." He began.

I looked into his eyes. He really cared about me, I could just see it from the way he looked at me. He cared about me and I was slowly pushing him away. I didn't even notice!

"Look, I know the news about Luke has had a huge impact on you, it has on us all. But you can't block everyone out okay. You need to let us help you, you need to talk to us." He told me.

I realised how selfish I was being. They've all been effected just as much as me, Luke brothers even more. After all Luke's their brother for christ sake! They've all been trying to help me, and I've just ignored them. James was right I blocked them all out.

I felt something on my hand, I looked down to see James's hand placed on mine. His warm touch sent shivers up my spine. I looked up, our eyes meeting.

Without any thought I leant in, connecting our lips for a much needed kiss. It had been days since we'd last shared a kiss. God I missed it.

"I love you." James whispered as we both pulled away from the kiss.

"I love you too." I replied.

It was true, I really did love James. I guess, I just haven't been showing it recently.