Progress

^Pic of Bow (Kayla's pup)^

  Chapter 13: Progress

  When morning finally arrives, I get dressed and brush my teeth without Brooke having to wake me up. Since I've been up for atleast an hour....or two....maybe two and a half, anyway after I woke up from my nightmare, I couldn't go back to sleep. So I just picked out my close for the day and took a shower. I sit in front of the vanity and brush my wet hair that reaches the middle of my back, within a few minutes my alarm goes off, as I get up to turn it off, Brooke comes in. "Well, well you made my job a whole lot easier, your already dressed" Brooke seems to be surprised by my action, I don't really know why. I'm a big girl, I can get myself dressed, ever since that fateful time of my life, I've never needed, nor wanted any help......from anyone. "Well, I'll be back in a minute, I have to wake up sleeping beauty, over there" Brooke tells me, I give a sympathetic smile, "I feel your pain, girl. You'll get through this" I say as if I was talking to woman who was diagnosed with cancer. Brooke rolls her eyes, and laughs, "he's not always like that, you know" she says in Connor's defense. "No, actually I didn't know, I thought he was always a crabby person" I say as sarcasm drips from every word. She just laughs and walks out.

We walk down the stairs, towards the dinning room, where both Hannah and Eliza are eating. We eat beacon and eggs, with chocolate pancakes on the side. "Good morning children, did you sleep well last night?" Hannah questions with a big, glorious smile. Connor just shrugs, "I slept great" I lie, with a sweet smile, trying to look believable, Connor then stares at me like I just grew another head.

This kid is so weird.....I think we should make him get a brain MRI, just to make sure his brain wasn't switched with apple sauce...... No I'm not joking....on the contrary.....I'm dead serious.

"Tomorrow you'll be going to your knew school" Hannah informs me.

Aww man.....so soon....I hate school.......so much too............ Oh well.

"That sounds great" I lie, with a huge grin. Connor, for the second time today, stares at me like my eyes just popped out of my skull, and I didn't even notice. "You like school!" Connor didn't even try to hide the utter shock, and disgust. I clear my throat, "well, as it turns out, not every kid is as brainless as you" I say with a high pitch, overly sweet voice. I thought I was quiet enough so only Connor could hear, but I guess I was wrong, since Eliza starts to choke on air, and laugh his head off. "I really like you Kayla, you ain't afraid to say what's on your mind" Eliza laughs out, in his western accent. My cheeks turn bright pink, as I realize he heard every word I said. "Nerd" Connor mutters, as Eliza regains control over the fit of laughs threatening to burst out. "Well, I rather be a nerd then a brainless ape, Connor" I glare at Connor, who's clenching his jaw now. "We should've adopted you sooner, Kayla. Maybe Connor wouldn't be such a fart in the saddle" Eliza comments.
(A/N I highly doubt ppl from texas actually say that, but hey I'm from Cali, so am I s'posed to know)

After breakfast, Brooke takes me and Connor out along with Shane, we dropped Bow off at doggy school already. "Do you like any sport, Kayla?" Brooke asks, "umm.... I like swimming, that's a sport" I answer, Connor's head whips over to examine me as soon as the word 'swimming' leaves my mouth. "You like swimming" Connor's question comes out more of a statement, as he seems shocked.....and something else but I can't tell, since he recovers quickly. "What's your favorite color?" Brooke asks, obviously trying to keep a conversation going. "Purple and blue, what's your favorite color and sport?" I ask her back, "I think my favorite color is.....hmmm.....orange, my favorite sport is....umm...I like to play beach volleybal. You have to answer to Connor" she replies then orders Connor to do the same. He stares at her as she were crazy, then gives her a deadly look like a if-you-make-you'll-be-sorry look. "Go on" Brooke orders. "Surfing and red" Connor mutters, obviously agitated. "See! That wasn't so hard" Brooke exclaims, "now, its your turn to ask a question, Kayla" "umm...what's your favorite pet?" I'm truly curious. "Umm..I like to be very active, sooo I'd say dogs, you?" Brooke's smile is large 'till she looks at Connor, "you have to answer too, wether you like it or not" Brooke gives him a deadpanned look. "Ladies first" he smirks, and Brooke raises her eyebrow. "Dogs for me too" I answer, "dogs I guess" Connor answers in a bored tone, when me and Brooke look at him, waiting for the answer. "Your turn to ask" Brooke glances at Connor while she says this. "Uh...huh...I hate you" he stutters, "that wasn't a question" Brooke says as if it weren't obvious. "When will you leave me alone?" He groans, "that's not the kind of question I was hoping for...but...I guess its a start.... well I'm not going to leave you alone 'till you can get along with your sister" Brooke smirks, while Connor frowns, then looks at me waiting for an answer I didn't know I had to give. "Uh..." I smirk "awww, don't worry, big bruh, imma neva go'way" Connor just gives an unimpressed look. "Haha, kay my turn? Um..what's your middle name?" I ask, "my name is Brooke Anne Davis" Brooke answers, "Connor Mason James" Connor mutters, with a frown on his face, then turns away. Everything got quiet after that, and I don't do anything but stare at Connor wondering what was wrong with his name. "Um.... Kayla Joyce....." I answer then both Brooke and Connor, even Shane whip their heads towards me and stare. "...James?" I didn't mean for it to come out as a question, but no one says anything. "Um...my turn?" Brooke smiles and nods 'yes' to Connor. "Anyone named after someone else?" he questions, "Anne is from my Grandma Anne, who died the day I was born" Brooke chimes in. "Mason was my favorite uncle's name" Connor says dryly, "Kayla was after the only child, who died when she was...like....three, of the man who saved me from freezing in the trash bin my real parents left me in, and Joyce is from the Doctor at the hospital that helped me survive" Connor raises his eyebrows, then looks out the car window. "What's the worst punishment you've gotten before?" Brooke asks. I grimce remembering the psychical and emotional abuse we received from....him. "One time, instead of cleaning my room I shoved everything in my closet, so my mom made me clean the entire bathroom as well as my room" Brooke laughs out. "Umm....one time I got into a fight, so the teacher made me give him a hug and apologize to him, infront of the entire school" I answer hoping they don't sence that, that wasn't the worst punishment I've ever had. "Haha, my dad took away my phone and didn't let me hang out with my friends because I got all F's" Connor laughs out, half because of what I had to go through and half because of the anger that must've been written all over Eliza's face. "We're home, but we're just going to get our swimming outfit's, then we'll go to the beach" Brooke informs us with a big smile, which I mirror.