Chapter 20- Grace Period

Mal's POV
Ben and I were walking down a long winding path, he insisted he knew where it led, but I doubt it. Because he is adorable I followed him anyway.
"Ben how much further I don't think my legs can take it." I whined. He stopped turned around and swept me off my feet all in one move. I laughed as he picked me up and he smiled.
"Its great to have peace in Auradon, isn't it Mal?" he asked "Its been like 3 weeks since the last time we had peace in the kingdom." I frowned. 3 weeks ago, the day after the party celebrating my mothers defeat... Ben frowned seeing me sad.
"Mal, I didn-" he started but I turned my head and he continued walking. He was still carrying me so I got down, he grabbed my hand.
"Mal, I have a present for you... I was going to wait until we got to the lake but.. Here." Ben said and he slipped a promise ring on my finger. I smiled and kissed him.
"Its beautiful, thank you." I said and we continued down the path for what seemed like forever. Ben covered my eyes when were about half way there.
"Seriously Ben, you know I hate surprises.." I sighed but he just kept leading me.
"Trust me, you'll love this one." he said and removed his hand when we stopped.
"SURPRISE!!" Jane, Evie, Jay, Carlos, Audrey, Chad, Doug, Lonnie, Ben, Anthony, and even Freddie all jumpped out of hiding and shouted.
"What's all this?" I asked looking around.
"Well, Mal, you were so caught up in everything that.. You missed your 17th birthday. Me and Evie decided to set up this party for you." Ben said and I turned and hugged him. My birthday was about 2 weeks ago, January 15th.. Usually it would be cold and snowy in January, I know. But FG had enchanted the land so the weather is usually always nice. I looked around and saw some people I didn't know and figured I would know by the end of tonight.

Ben's POV
I went around introducong Mal to some of the AK's she had never met before. Jordan and Ally seemed to love meeting her. Mal was hanging out with them for a while so I walked over to Evie.
"Is everything ready?" I asked.
"Yeah, now we just need to get her to open her presents." Evie replied. We have a very special gift for her at the end of the party, its a necklace that is a heart shaped locket. I hope she likes it, this costed alot, but Mal's smile.. Nothing competes with it.

*About 2 hours later*

We just finished cake and opening the gifts. I handed Mal the last gift, which contained the necklace. She opened it and her face lit up with the brightest smile. I took it from her and put it around her neck. When I finished she turned around and kissed me.
"Thank you, Ben. I love it." she said then thanked everyone fir the amazing party. It was getting late so we decided to walk back together.