Chapter 38: My Sister

Začít od začátku

"I met the other guardians", he began. "And the Uruimethian king." Louis let his gaze take in the array of colours from the flowers in the garden. He hadn't thought it beautiful until now. It was different. Everything seemed changed now that she was back.

"An assembly", Cheska breathed, a slight tremor in her voice. "Of course", she shook her head. "How did it go?"

"It was—" he glanced sidelong at his sister. The twin set of his eyes stared back at him. "They want someone to replace Libya's guardian until she's well enough to return to her duties."

"Who will take her place?"

"They haven't decided yet. There's a guardian in South Africa who could take the slack, but with the plague and the Libyan President-General..." He shrugged. "The guardians think it would be better to have another fill in the position. Zafeera – she's Libya's guardian – has a brother, but he's untrained and underqualified." Cheska's face drained of colour. A million thoughts whirled behind her searching gaze. "They want Fred to be Libya's temporary guardian."

"What?" Her eyes widened with disbelief. Cheska's mouth opened and closed a few times. Then she started pacing. Louis could empathize with her. He had the same reaction when the subject was brought up during the assembly.

"I know it's a shock."

"A shock?!" Cheska's voice rose. "Have they all gone insane? They can't send him there." She paused and pointed at him. "Neither you. You're both untrained."

"Sis, I'm a guardian now", Louis chuckled drily. "I know the tunnels," he lifted his eyebrows, "and you're well aware I can defend myself, so can Fred – well, except when your best friend hit him with an iron skillet."

"Self-defence doesn't make you qualified for the position."

"Sure they are. These extra sensory gifts are what make us good in that area."

"It's more than that", she snapped. Cheska marched towards Louis and shoved him by the shoulder.

"Ow." He rubbed the spot where her hand made contact.

"Didn't see that coming, did you?" she said, smirking with arms akimbo.

"Do you have to go that far to prove your point?" he complained.

Her forehead creased, mouth pressed into a thin line. "Did Fred say anything?"

"I was going to ask you about him, actually. Thought he'd be with you. The guardians want to speak to him."

"He went back to the study after leaving me in the ivory room."

"Fred did. I thought he followed me to the Assembly hall. I swear he was right behind me when we crossed the portal."

"Keep your voice down, Louis." She moved closer to him and in a hushed tone, said: "Not many know that these doorways exist much less it can be conjured. Almost everyone thinks they're just stories."

Louis snuck a glance at the silent guard. What was his name again? Buzz, she said. The guard hadn't budged from his spot near the ferns.

The ways of the guardians were kept secret. It was to protect them and humanity from power-hungry individuals. A number of security personnel, however, already knew about the guardians' preferred mode of transportation. They had witnessed people from different parts of the world pour into the conference room earlier. Louis didn't dare contradict her; not when she looked like a string stretched taut and about ready to snap. Cheska took a calming breath. Once, twice.

"Did you go back to the study?" she asked.

"Not yet."

Cheska nodded curtly and became thoughtful. "Have you call his mobile phone?"